I had some jewelry work to do before Christmas. I had some little copper flat pieces that required a lot of file shaping. I was trying to hold them between my finger and thumb, but this was proving to be awkward.

I have been wanting to mount one of the V-blocks the jewelers use on my bench, so I was looking through some videos on basic jeweler’s tools and came across the wooden hand vise.

Being too tight to buy one, I sawed a section from an old chair leg and proceeded to make a serviceable tool for myself.

I’d say this is nothing new to many of you, but this has proven mighty handy for me on the small stuff. It is as simple as it looks. You just put the piece in the padded jaw and then slide the wood wedge in the opposite end. You might have to adjust the wedge or maybe keep a couple on hand for varying thicknesses.

vise1.jpg

vise2.jpg

One of those things I didn't know I needed until I got it.

Might be of benefit to some of you folder guys.

• Like 3

For most of my file work and jeweler's saw work, I made this from some mild steel. This is based on the file work clamp in Dwayne Dushane's video. It's 2x3/8" steel strap and a couple nuts, bolts, and washers. Works like a charm.

For grinding folder blades, I use this.

Folder Blade Hoder 4.JPG

Edited by Joshua States
  • Like 1
On 2/19/2021 at 7:11 PM, Joshua States said:

For most of my file work and jeweler's saw work, I made this from some mild steel. This is based on the file work clamp in Dwayne Dushane's video. It's 2x3/8" steel strap and a couple nuts, bolts, and washers. Works like a charm.

For grinding folder blades, I use this.

Folder Blade Hoder 4.JPG

Something as simple as that will save my fingers next round.