Advice/thoughts on this used kiln

Soooooooo I found this kiln the owner says it was in the basement of the house he just bought.

Its a paragon with no PID.

I have done a little searching and found this pid on amazon.

The kiln is 500.00....he sent me a short vid of him turning it on and the elements went red hot pretty much immediately.

Its pretty big...he states its 36" tall and 28" in diameter.

Do ya all think this will work...see any potential problems ect?

kiln.jpg

pid.webp

pid.webp

Not sure why is not letting me upload the pid image =/

It looks like you can unplug the top section on that one and just lift it off.  That might be a nice way to improve the efficiency if so.

I've never used a vertical kiln, but I understand that they are a bit of a pain to deal with when you have to lift a hot blade out. (I'm assuming you are looking to heat treat with this)  All the heat come up at you when you open it so you have to glove up pretty securely to keep from getting burned.

$500 seems a bit steep to get something out of the guys house when he probably wants it out of his way.  I bet you negotiate get a much better price.

I am not sure why I cant get the PID pic to post. Its 350.00  I have looked into some heat treating ovens in the past...seems most were in the 2-3 k range....and not this large.

Yes....would like to have the option to do stainless....and right now I can only harden about 13" of blade.

I kinda thought 500 was a pretty good deal.

I agree with Brian, 500 seems a bit steep for that, And the energy cost to use it on blades will be excessive to say the least. 

I mean will it work, Yes, most pottery kilns get up to and past the temps needed to HT a stainless blade, ( If I recall my HS pottery correctly, some porcelain fires at cone 7-8 which is 2100+ f ) but there is a LOT of wasted space in that if its not modular and you can pull sections off. 

If I recall correctly, you are in Northern Utah, If you do pick it up, I would be interested to take it off your hands to use as a Pottery Kiln and would be more then happy to help you build a HT oven in addition to paying you for the investment on picking it up. 

I am actually in the process of building one right now infact. 

materials and time to build a blade specific one would end up being the same or less and youl end up with a more efficient kiln out of it hell after making mine i ended up cutting a slot in the door so i don't even have to open it to put a blade in or take it out i dont do "batches" so this works well for me think it took me an hour or so to treat 5 blades with normalizing several of them  

You would probably have to rig some system to hang the knives in that kiln to prevent the blades from sagging from being stood on end.  You will also need to be wearing a face shield and infra-red filtering glasses to save the skin on your face and your eye sight.

Doug

19 hours ago, Robert D. said:

I agree with Brian, 500 seems a bit steep for that, And the energy cost to use it on blades will be excessive to say the least. 

I mean will it work, Yes, most pottery kilns get up to and past the temps needed to HT a stainless blade, ( If I recall my HS pottery correctly, some porcelain fires at cone 7-8 which is 2100+ f ) but there is a LOT of wasted space in that if its not modular and you can pull sections off. 

If I recall correctly, you are in Northern Utah, If you do pick it up, I would be interested to take it off your hands to use as a Pottery Kiln and would be more then happy to help you build a HT oven in addition to paying you for the investment on picking it up. 

I am actually in the process of building one right now infact. 

I will message you their number. Yes.....I live in Heber....work in midvale about 25 yards east of where hooters was...and the kiln is in rose park.

I would be interested in a price for something like you are making. I tried to log on from home over the weekend and its telling me I dont know my password.

Not sure how I can re set that. I have it wrote on my rolodex at work but it kept saying its wrong.

7 minutes ago, Kreg Whitehead said:

Not sure how I can re set that.

I can reset it to something neutral, then you change it when you log back in.  I can't see people's passwords, but I can edit them.