Starting a New Design

Recently we've had the largest snow accumulation in the past twenty years and sub-zero temps which have precluded much shop time but it has afforded me some time for design.  I believe that for my next project I'm going to build a renaissance style dagger.  I have started on a new variation of an explosion pattern mosaic damascus which should work well for it.  Since it will have a "busy" pattern  blade, I think a fairly plain hilt of blackwood & 416 will compliment it well.

My biggest pre-production problem that I see is that my little mini lathe won't accept a large enough diameter stainless round rod to turn the size pommel that I would prefer but I'll dig into my "bag of tricks" and figure something out.

I'll try to keep you advised as I progress.

renaissance dagger design.jpg opt

• Like 7
7 minutes ago, Gary Mulkey said:

It is a 3 jaw chuck that opens to 1"

Depending on how much swing you have over the cross slide, you can add .25" to your widest dimension then use a saw or cut off wheel to cut one end of your stock small enough to fit in the chuck.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, jake cleland said:

On some 3 jaw chucks you can remove and invert the chuck teeth to grip larger stock...

Most of the 3 jaws I've used had jaws that come off to be inverted due to the shape of the threading mechanism.

• Thanks 1

Just be sure to keep them in order! They will be stamped 1, 2, and 3, and the slots will as well.  If you get them mixed up they won't be concentric. 

After a bit of massaging I got my little lathe to accept 1.25" which I was happy with.  You can see that I hollowed the pommel which is mainly for weight reduction.

The damascus billet for the blade is a variation of an explosion pattern.  Once I was happy with the pattern, I got the billet annealed and cut into tiles.  I'll try to get it welded tomorrow.

dagger billet opt

dagger tiles opt

dagger pommel opt

• Like 2

That's gonna look good with the centerline running through those X's.  Good pattern for a double-edged symmetrical blade.  

• Thanks 1

I could see that you welded the tiles square to each other, and wondered if it was a can, or a ferry flip. 

I still struggle to get my diagonals to come out straight :)

I got in enough shop time today to rough out the quillon guard (416).  (the quillons have a peened through pin that will get silver soldered to the body of the guard.) 

IMG_0520_opt