Be as honest as possible my skin is tough

I just finished my first knife. It’s forged / stock removal from a leaf spring. Looking back I wish I would of done a through or a full handle tang. 

disclaimer the handle is oddly shaped but does fit my hand luckily enough. I got everything fitted up and since I had the blade wrapped up I didn’t realize I glued the knife in the handle material backwards. 

C9FFD522-8A96-4B89-A654-DEFC25EE6510.jpeg

E64D5CF6-C5CB-49CF-98EA-315C834F0060.jpeg

C0B30044-C2CA-4C38-B9D2-10A55AAF5B27.jpeg

• Like 1

I second Joshua.  words to live by: "Don't keep a mistake just because you spent time on it". I'm as guilty of keeping a knife that has flaws for the wall of learning/shame as anyone, but gluing a handle on backwards is easily fixable, and even though some wood may be lost, at least you don't lose an entire blade.

With the Seax shape you have, you have the beginnings of a nice one, but I would encourage you to get rid of the plunge line and grind the bevel all the way down. :)  If you peruse and study a few of the MANY seax threads on here you'll find some great examples!

Edited by Jaron Martindale
  • Like 1

I like the way Jaron put it.  Mistakes happen in all sizes.  Some you can live with and make it a point to not do it again on the next one, others just need to be fixed before moving forward.  On the flip side, the blade looks great for your first one, waaaaay cleaner than my first forging!  A couple of hours of hand polishing and it would look really good.  I am curious about the darker coloration at the tip though.  Was that intentional?

Josh and Jaron that's a good ideal I think that's exactly what im going to do.  I guess I kind of got nervous thinking if I have to re drill my holes will I make the tang weak and easier to break. but I guess the brass will fill the holes and ill just make sure I don't drill that area.

Alex actually I just noticed that in the picture it must of been a shadow because the tip of the blade isn't darker on the tip weird.

thanks guys for the input and I will definitely take a look at some more viking seax because now that I looked at it they don't typically have plung lines.

• Like 1

yea the handle, a bit upside down, lol.

other than that, critique:

personally I find the look of the faces in relation to the bevel line is important, yours seems a bit...wonky.

perhaps you didnt forge the faces flat and straight enough, perhaps you didnt forge the bevel in or its a result of the grinding?

but considering this is your first forged knife, its def better than mine.

I do like the profile you got going on, looks like it be fun to chop kindling with

• Like 1