Hi Everybody,

Great to be here on the forum, this is my first post.
I’m a blacksmith and blacksmith from the Netherlands and I have a few questions about my power hammer you might be able to help me with.

This is my 1900 spring hammer I found in a barn somewhere. I think the drop weight is about 65 lbs.

As you can see on the photo, the base is a few wooden planks and my neighbors are saying that their pictures are dropping of the wall when I work.
So what could be a solution for this? I can’t break into the ground and pour a separate foundation for the hammer. Is it maybe helpful to poor a big block of concrete, for instance 10 inches thick. And put the hammer on that block. Maybe it would disperse the impact? I could also put a big rubber mat underneath it?

Second question is about the anvil. I now use a box filled with sand where the anvil stands on. This is a very unstable solution. The anvil tends to slant a bit under the blows. What would be your advice for an anvil. Poor some concert base for the anvil to stand on? Or would the crack the concrete? Maybe some solid iron block to mount the anvil on? 

Thanks for your advice!

All te best,

Matthias

IMG_7266.JPG

I have a shop built #50 hammer. It sits on a steel plate on wooden sleepers.  I need to replace the timbers (they weren't in good shape to start and 15 years on a concrete floor hasn't helped them any) but the concrete floor is fine.  Rubber mat (like horse stall matting) might help the neighbors pictures

If you can get steel under the anvil, that would be a good solution, though it may be loud.  Concrete will just crumble under the impacts.  Simplest might be wood.  Large beams on end.  Bolt or strap the stump, or bolt AND strap, and attach that to the plate.

Is the anvil sitting directly in the sand?  A steel plate between the anvil and the sand might fix it.  I still think a stump, or a constructed wooden block would be better.

Cool hammer, by the way.  Is it a commercial design, or someone's home built machine?

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your reply.

It's a cool looking thing right. I think it's build for work in a factory, because at first it had two large wheels at top for the central line in the factory. But I made a slipper clutch mechanism so I could work it more softly.

I think I'll start with the beams and a rubber mat. And I already tried the wood under the anvil but ik kept bouncing to much.

Hi Matthias, nice to see another dutchie on this forum.

First of all that is a very cool hammer, reminds me a lot of the japanese power hammers.

When I had a power hammer I had it sitting on wooden beams placed on top of horse stall mats, It was chemically anchored to the floor with thick rubber between the bolts and the hammer. 

It was still loud, but giving it some bounce really helped with the noise.

If you can isolate the anvil from the hammer this will also help a bit.

In my opinion the best way to set an anvil is on an old fashioned wooden stump with a thick layer of lead sheet between the anvil and the block.

I never really liked the sand boxes, an anvil that sinks and moves is really annoying to me.