Building a new shop at my next home, build to accomodate my disabilities ideas?

Okay, I am in the situation that within a year or 2 i need to move - and there I will have an option to build a workshop - but as my body has taken a hammering, I now need to find ways to: Lift and hold heavier objects(anything about 1 kg makes difficulties) Right now my plan is  using a travers crane the entire shop length(with another beam to move all XYZ axis' in order to achive maximum control and ability with the heaviest as possible objects - i maybe ill but i still like swinging around chunks of hot metal :P ), in a manner as to make it possible moving ANY piece of equipment/tool around without the use of much muscle just a push a button- i'm thinking an electric whinch or some leverage way to minimize the need for brute force.
As for holding the stuff - as long as they are on good tongs and I have a tool rest I can forge just fine- or maybe jerry rig some kind of clamping contraption, but I cannot rely on my forarm strength alone anymore.

But what would you guys think should be  incorporated in a shop made for people of less than they used to strength and disabilities ?I dont plan on it, but I need to plan space for a wheelchair even. I got a fly press for soon ^^ my grannys new husband got one he doesn't use anymore and i can have it after he has repaired it :)  so I got to find a way to use it for blacksmithing, saw a few vids with forging done with a fly press :) think it is doable

Hmmm, this is certainly an interesting challenge to figure out...

You said anything over one kilogram is difficult to maneuver, is that correct? You also mentioned a wheelchair, do you normally use a wheelchair to get around or are you thinking you may need to use one in the future?

Hi Simon - Yep it sure is :) , well one kilogram is the max hammer i can move for long enough to forge anything, and comfortably hold, anything more and I get tired quick. Just talked with my grannys husband, he can indeed help me build the shop like a miniature version of the shipyards smithy he was trained in as a youth :D or any other part of heavy industry.. And my parents have given me permission to build a shop to my specifications to keep me with a place I can go to and do whatever hobby i got, also planning on making a small woodworking shop.

The wheelchair is not at the moment a thing, but I just had a recent couple of scares over my ability to walk so I want to make sure I don't make a shop I cannot use. So I want it to have as easy acces as possible, I could end up needing one if it deteriorates any further.

So basically I want to make a miniature version of heavy industry and a working kind too (like a travers crane the entire shop floor size as to be able to move all my equipment inside, I could get a 3 ton crane  but I will see what Jens (grannys hubby) will advice, since he is a marine engineer who worked for Maersk his whole life - with installing heavy equipment and stuff, he has been around :P man some of his stories are out of this world with massive thousands of tonnes of lifs and such.

This kind of crane is what Jens and I have worked out could be of great service to a shop, If i could build one sturdy enough (read have others build it, I don't have the know how to weld these load bearing welds, but Jens do) simply a very expensive helping hand :)  I cannot rely on having folks to function as striker nor as lifters, so I will need to find steel to do the job of flesh :P

Soup.io - News, Sports, Entertainment, TV, Tech, Gaming & Health | Cranes  for sale, Gantry crane, Crane

• Like 1

might wana build a tire hammer once you have the lifting figured out its a reasonable expense and will open up the world of forging better than the fly press not that the press wont be helpful just saying the hammer will replace you arm much better than the press

• Like 1

DragonCutlery I plan on using the press for most of my forging as it is silent, and then once the brute is done - I will hand hammer it (most of my stock is thick so i forge it down, and I just can't get the folks to believe a hammer i quiet enoug or able to be silenced):)  mainly for noise and neighbours- I'd love to smack a 25 lbs little giant in there :P or what ever size my electric gritt will allow - but I just cant see a way to kill the noise it makes and the press is fairly quiet. What could noise control a hammer ? I get they are not the best for my purpose, but is there a way to make the hammer quiet enough ?

Edited by Troels Saabye

If you can pour an isolation block foundation (~1-meter cube of concrete with 2.5cm of rubber matting on all sides), and mount a hammer to that with more rubber mat or lead sheet between the hammer and the block, a small hammer can be remarkably quiet with the shop doors closed.  

One thing you really need to look into, and I only know about these from a friend, are tool balancers like this: https://www.amazon.com/Reelcraft-TB-05-Tool-Balancer-5-Pound/dp/B002CVTKK6

These are magical objects that can be set to hold a tool like an angle grinder or steel billet effortlessly at any height you want.  When not in use the tool hangs where you leave it, but when you grab the tool it goes where you want, and you don't feel any weight.  Some of these mounted on small jib crane-type things would allow you to use small power tools without straining.  Some can be set to retract the tool up to the reel, only coming down when you grab it and pull down.

• Like 2

Alan - yeah that would be possible :) but would it be quiet enough for neighbours to no hear it ? I am planing on a decoupled wall construction for maximum sound proofing,aswell (got a big ol' book "book of sound" has a lot of good ideas for constructions, I am thinking : build two walls with a 4-6 inch gap(air in this one - when the sound comes in through one wall and then a hollow -> onto the next wall is said to work well for rock concerts...)

Yes ! Those could do the lighter jobs :) thank you ! i found  https://www.blacksmithparadise.com/ 

so a 1m3 concrete cube as a free foundation ?

Just a thought.  If you're planning on soundproofing your shop, then I'm assuming that you'll be forging with the doors closed.  You'll need a decent method of ventilating the forging area.  Carbon Monoxide is nothing to fool around with.

• Like 2

Exactly Alex :) I have been looking at a smoke extractor for my coal forge, with a smoke cleaner (dont know how they do it, but they claim the cyclon system is good for cleaning forge air . Well actually i was planing on forging with a press ;) to minimize noise (welding and drawing out billets of damascus) Maybe I will end up with a second hand power hammer, but I am planing on building the shop in a way so i can use a power hammer)

I still mainly forge blades on my anvil, but is the press better or the power hammer for drawing out thick stock ?

this is what i have planned on using
https://www.angele-shop.com/shop/en/cyclone-smoke-cleaner-type-z-302

I've never seen one of those cyclones for small shop use, and I am shocked at the price they want!  You could probably build one for a lot less.  Coal-fired power plants here use electrostatic precipitation to remove the particulates.  I send them downwind, the ones that don't fall back down the chimney, anyway... :unsure:

A 1m3 cube of concrete is the minimum, the bigger the better.  With rebar inside, of course.  The big issue with small power hammers is not the noise as much as it is the vibration.  The type of soil you are on has a lot to do with how far away a neighbor can feel the hammer working.  My hammer, a ~22Kg, sits on a 12cm thick wooden pad on a 10cm thick concrete floor.  With heavy clay soil under that, one neighbor ~100m away says he can feel when I use it, but one closer in a different direction can't.  Then again, I am approximately 30m above a large cave that also runs under the 100m neighbor's house, so maybe it amplifies the thumping? I've heard that a rubber pad on bedrock is best, but I don't know.  You can also put springs under the isolation block if you really want to eliminate noise and vibration.  For a smaller hammer that is fine.  There is a 2500Kg drop hammer about 25km from me (https://www.forging.org/forging/modern-forge-tennessee-llc.html).  I can't feel it, but a guy who lives 5km from it can. But I doubt you want so big a hammer. ;)

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

No question about that ;) they are robbing me blind - I will  probly end up bitting the bullet and buy it (I want to forge stuff not build the tools only ;) ) But yeah nearly 4K euro is a tough one to swallow, but I might be able to get away with a small hammer in a well insulated area... Is there any kind of press I could use instead of a power hammmer/ less banging and booming for the neighbours (even though a little giant 25 lbs prober mounted would make little noise I'd imagine ?
Regarding poisonous gasses (SOx,NOx,COx) what other sensors could be a good plan to have in a shop for detecting hazardous gasses ?
2500 kg :D oh my - well after seeing a lot of videos, I believe the press can work, but too found a spring hammer to 1000 euro ^^  image.jpg

weight is 790 lbs total :) got to build a lot of tools for it, but I believe It can work, or this one:https://image.jimcdn.com/app/cms/image/transf/dimension=1820x1280:format=jpg/path/s7dda33a3c5f0d872/image/i65b720c2297e74b4/version/1591566744/image.jpg
I cant find any motor on the last one, but I am thinking about buying something like it, anyway just a small hammer if I can make it possible (need to find out what I can get done around the place, but even just with a fly press and some draw out dies I could move a ton of more metal than I was in my best days :b)

Edited by Troels Saabye