Please help me identify this knife.

I have narrowed it down to an rh pal ww2 style combat knife but all of the variations of it I can find have  completely different blood grooves.

I am trying to get the specific version of the knife so I might be able to restore it. 

received_1045859375937407.jpeg

This looks odd to me.  I think it was broken off and re-handled.  The lack of a ricasso is a clue.  I'd bet that if you could find out the length of a whole one, you'd find that this one is about 3/4" short.

JFYI, they are called fullers (the grooves on the blade).  They have nothing to do with keeping the blade from sticking in a wound, or making a wound bleed more freely.  They do make the blade lighter, without giving up much stiffness.

This is just my .02

g

Could be a shortened bayonet blade, possible Japanese by the look of the point.  A fuller of that size is more akin to a Bayonet than a knife.  Perhaps a war time rear eschalon modification. 

Thank you everyone. This has been an incredible help.

More than likely it suffered a break at the tang from rust or sudden pressure. Either the original owner liked it some much they couldn't bear to part with it, or someone found it and decided to play around with it.

Many of the longer WW1 US bayonets were shortened during WW2 and had tips that looked very much like the op's picture.  Then after the Korean war, many bayonets were demilled by cutting off the blades in front of the guard so it may be knife made from one of the demills.