A gent asked me to make him a knife, he said I don't care what it is I just want you to make it. Well that's the kind of offer you can't refuse. I had this design on the drawing board for quite a while as the SOG recon Bowie is my favourite Vietnam era combat knife and I've always wanted to make one. I hoped I could do justice to the lineage of this iconic knife and give this commission what it deserved. 

The blade for this knife is made from L-3 high carbon tool steel which I cold gun blued. The blade is 180mm long and is 5.5mm thick on the spine, the overall length of the knife is 305mm. The gun blued double branch hand guard and handle bolster are made from carbon steel. The handle is the standard stacked leather washer design which has been dyed mahogany brown. The black double welted leather sheath comes with a stone pocket and leg tie.

I hope you like it, all comments are always greatly appreciated.

Steve

DSCF5726.jpg

DSCF5727.jpg

DSCF5728.jpg

DSCF5729.jpg

• Like 9

Steve, my thoughts are very well done. I really like the cold blue treatment and may I ask which blue formula you used. I ask because some turn out splotchy and although this is part in due from the steel, this finish rocks! And the sheath is very well done as well!

Gary LT 

Edited by Gary LT
  • Like 1

Hi Gary

Thank you for your comments buddy. I use Phillips professional cold blue cut 3 parts water to 1 part bluing solution. I've got hot bluing salts but I don't use them on the blade because of the temperature needed to make the salts melt. I've also got some Caswell steel ox steel blackening treatment that I'm going to start to use on future projects.

Steve

Excellent interpretation!  I agree, that's probably one of the best fighting knife designs of the last century.  The F-S has it's place, of course, but that one has more functionality.  And the bluing is perfect with the darkened leather.

• Like 1

I have to agree with you Alan about the design of this knife. The F/S is iconic and holds a special place in my heart but it's not what I'd call a practicle design. If I had to choose between two daggers personally I'd go for the V-42 over the F/S every time, but if I had to deploy and had a choice of knife to carry on my rig I'd take the SOG recon Bowie. There's just something about the shape of that blade that says, I'm up for it.

Steve, I'm just a novice smith but I have been studying this CISO design they developed for MACV SOG for many years. It's been a dream to make a replica like this long before I started. There where many iterations over the few years MACV SOG was operational with slight variations, but you have absolutely nailed the form in my opinion. It's beautiful and I love the bluing. I think those old SF guys would've been fighting over who got this one. The originals from what I've heard didn't always have the best heat treat and often broke, so this would've been the supreme deluxe version. Great work. 

• Like 1

Morning Joe

Thank you very much for your comments buddy. There are times when you make a knife that is hard to let go of. Like I said I've always loved the design of this knife and I did the original drawings to make her for myself. I have a commission to make another so I may do two and keep one for myself this time.

All the best

Steve

Absolutely. I haven’t had many yet that where tough to let go yet as I mostly just give mine away at this point, but if I’d made this one here, it would be really tough! 

My hope is to one day be able to make a few as nice as this and donate most of them to the Special Operations Association. It’s a group mostly made up of former members of SOG and it would be really cool to give them to them to raffle or to give to one of there chosen members. 

I haven’t attempted one yet as I’m not very confident I can pull it off but you’ve inspired me to give a go.

Best to you as well, and good luck with your future commissions, although it doesn’t look like you need it. Take care. 

Joe

• Like 1

Thanks Joe

Don't knock yourself buddy, remember every knife is a learning curve and always strive to make the next one better than the last. It's very honourable of you to want to make some knives and donate them to veteran's. I've done that a couple of times here in the UK to a military charity called Pilgrim Bandits. They are based not far from where I live. I look forward to seeing what you can produce.

ATB

Steve

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

That’s great to hear Steve, good on you. Thank you for the encouragement. I’m really glad I found this forum (thanks Don!) It’s an oasis in the sea of the dark corners of Fb groups and what not lol. I’m working on the Bowie design currently and look forward to sharing it here. All the best! 

Joe

• Like 1