Hello, 

im just asking if Arctic Fire is still going on? I absolutely loved watching the first year and i bought the dvd and the cool poster that come with it. And the second was really amazing watching everyone struggle to build that master piece. Also nice to see im not the only person who ends up doing antler fights with the drunk buddies.  

I noticed with the explosion of forged in fire the desire of bladesmithing has exploded as well but it felt like a lack of spirit of the content. I have watched the first year from time to time just to listen to it while working just for the inspiration. I loved listen to the niello demonstration with all the enthusiasm.  Also the the lecture of evolution of celtic artwork helps provided a the feeling that your knives and your art is adding to the history of the art.

So is arctic fire still going on or something with the same spirit thats not forged in fire related?

Also sorry if this sounds like a love letter.

• Like 1

Hi Matthew:

Glad you liked them! We sure worked hard to produce them.

The last AF was in 2016. If you haven't seen the videos you can find them here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCONxF6KdMJN9ymPa2pT5S6A/videos

I spoke to Michael Bergstrom (who did the video work for AF 2016) a while ago and asked if he would be up for producing a future AF, and his response was something like: "Abso-F***ing-lutely!" So, I hope we can produce another one someday.

If we do another one, I think it will be more like AF 2013: An ambitious build collab with only a few days to do it.  I'd welcome any ideas on how to structure future events.

Perhaps Summer of 2022 when travel has resumed post vaccination? 

Thanks for the kind words.

Cheers!

Dave

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Dave Stephens said:

I'd welcome any ideas on how to structure future events.

I thought about this with the whole pandemic complexity related to travel. 

What about making the project in 3 or 4 different places with maybe 2 artisans at each location?

It would mean separate filming crews. or the film crew has to travel, but all the artisans could attend each session remotely via Webex, Zoom, or Teams apps. 
Location #1: Making the steel.  Here the ore is smelted, or iron is refined into the usable ingots, or billets. This product then gets shipped to Location #2.

Location # 2: Making the blade. Here the raw metals are worked into a usable blade, ground to shape, heat treated and finished, ready for fittings.

The blade is then shipped to location #3.

Location # 3: Here the fittings and handle are made and attached to the blade. The finished piece is then sent to location #4.

Location #4: Here is where the scabbard is fit to the finished blade and the project is complete.

This idea will obviously take a more complicated set of logistics to complete. It does lend itself to a more prolonged time frame for total construction though.

Each "episode" could be edited and either live streamed, or released as a separate stand alone product. Maybe a combination of the two. Live stream portions, and release a stand alone episode that features edited footage of the entire location's activities.

Just an idea.

Edited by Joshua States
  • Like 1

My absolute favorite parts of Arctic Fires have been learning of some neat little aspect that I wouldn't have necessarily learned about otherwise.  The Niello segment is a prime example of this.  I also love that there is always a bit for everyone.  The basics of draw filing, smelting from ore, pattern development, crazy ornamentation (niello, hilt component casting, stone setting, carving), blade design (Peter Johnsson's lecture, for example), sheath/scabbard making (design, construction, leatherwork), final sharpening/polish.  Some of that has already been covered, some is as yet to be seen in an AF.  There are so many things that can be covered, and to have true masters of the craft show their tips and tricks on how they approach any aspect, from the planning through final execution, is just so enlightening.  

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It would be great to see it happening again Dave! I remember the first Arctic Fire being a large part of inspiration to continue learning and exploring the craft, as I am sure is the case for many who have tuned in to the events. 

1 hour ago, John Page said:

It would be great to see it happening again Dave! I remember the first Arctic Fire being a large part of inspiration to continue learning and exploring the craft, as I am sure is the case for many who have tuned in to the events. 

I can confirm that what finally made me decide to get myself a forge was recently seeing an Arctic Fire tutorial on forge welding without (and with) a press - I think it was Dave actually. It showed me that pattern welding is attainable even without super expensive equipment, and led to me diving in. It would definitely be great if more happened in the future!

On 3/29/2021 at 9:51 PM, David Kleinfeldt said:

I can confirm that what finally made me decide to get myself a forge was recently seeing an Arctic Fire tutorial on forge welding without (and with) a press - I think it was Dave actually. It showed me that pattern welding is attainable even without super expensive equipment, and led to me diving in. It would definitely be great if more happened in the future!

That is really cool to hear, David! 

I do think there will be another AF in the next couple of years. I am going to be moving my shop to a warehouse in Anchorage so there will be more room for equipment. For a build against the clock AF like 2013 we will need multiple work stations.

Dave

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Dave Stephens said:

I do think there will be another AF in the next couple of years.

That is exciting to hear Dave.  I was brand new to this hobby/craft to when I first saw the Artic Fire videos, and didn't realize just how special of an event that was.