These are mild steel (A36) with O1 edge. I try to avoid using A36, because I don't want any surprise hard spots where I need to file or drill. I originally sketched these with file work on the 1/4" square shanks. I switched to the twists because I wanted to leave some steel as-forged. The twists serve as witness to the heat of the forge. They also serve a couple other design functions. They provide a nice grip surface for a finger, and the bend in the shanks makes them look flexible.

These are 7 1/2" OA, 3 1/4" blade, rust blued. 

This is the first time I've threaded one blade with the pivot screw locked into that thread. Lots of scissors are produced that way, but I'm not a fan of the cosmetics. I also dislike pivot screws that look like they can be adjusted. Most cannot, but they still have a slot in the head that's inviting. This screw is a shoulder screw, meaning the rotating blade is not bearing on a thread. 

In my previous scissors post, I named some barriers that might be inhibiting people from making scissors. Here's another. There are so many steps required, I have to spend time plotting my next moves so I don't do things in the wrong order. A big part of my learning curve has been to discover the best sequence of operations. As with other forgings, sometimes I have to turn left before I can turn right. 

This is also the first time I've missed the centerline with the pivot hole. I hope it's the last. 

eloise3.jpeg

eloise4.jpeg

eloise2.jpeg

eloise1.jpeg

20210307_093938.jpg

• Like 6