Hi Guys

I made this knife, again really to keep her for myself, I didn't even have a name for her. I posted finished pic's of the knife and sheath and a gent contacted me and wanted to buy her he even came up with the name Yuki Onna, the snow maiden. Well it would have been rude of me to not let him go ahead with his purchase.

The spec's for this Japanese style tanto are.

The blade is made from Shiro2 white paper steel, with a blade length of 152mm and an overall length of 290mm. The handle has grey polished Samigawa over wrapped with grey/green silk Ito which I've treated and hardened with West Systems G-flex epoxy. There are two Kongosho menuki, one on each side of the handle. The sheath is a wet formed leather pancake style which has been dyed black and has Kydex rivets and a Spyderco G-clip belt loop. Thank you for looking and as ever I look forward to all of your comments.

Steve

DSCF5686.jpg

DSCF5688.jpg

DSCF5689.jpg

• Like 6

I really like this one, often knives in this style have no rayskin, but I think it really classes the whole thing up.

How did you stabilize the wrap, It doesn't look saturated with glue, the time I tried to stabilize a wrap it was a huge mess and ended up very plasticy.

I used West Systems two part epoxy Pieter, parts 105 and 207. It's super thin and sets super hard. The Ito is from Namikawa in Japan and is pretty bullet proof anyway, but once you put this stuff on it's like Kevlar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Pieter-Paul Derks said:

I really like this one, often knives in this style have no rayskin, but I think it really classes the whole thing up.

How did you stabilize the wrap, It doesn't look saturated with glue, the time I tried to stabilize a wrap it was a huge mess and ended up very plasticy.

i use g flex for my cord wraps and what i do is spread the epoxy on the wrap and then i use saran wrap wrapped around the handle and i squeeze and work the glue in to the handle then peal it off and repeat as needed it lets me get epoxy in to the cord but pulls excess off the surface so it doesn't look like plastic but it does have to be cut off to remove ....my 2 cents 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the tip Brandon, if you don't mind me asking what's saran wrap though? I've not had to do that to be honest. The G flex is that runny that all I do is paint it on with a very small artists brush. I got a load off of eBay and use them and bin them as they're no good once the epoxy has gone off. The resin soaks right into the Ito and as of yet I've not had a problem of having to much left on the surface of the wrap. I will keep your tip in the memory bank though as you can never have to much information in knife making.

I've googled it, it's cling film I'll have to give it a go.

Edited by Steve Nowacki

Thanks for the replies, this will help in the future.

My epoxy isn't runny at all, more of an thick honey consistancy, so I suspect that was part of the problem.

• Like 1