Having had an increasingly difficult time breathing over the last year and a half (not Covid related, thankfully), I decided to sell my coal forge and switch completely to propane. I made a coffee can forge last summer and that's been fine for blades less than 2" wide and that don't require forge welding. 

I decided to make a forge that would have 2 ribbon burners. I'm going to put a valve between them, so one can be shut off and have half of the forge chamber blocked off with a fire brick. The brick can either be slid over or removed completely to accommodate bigger blades or large scroll work that I plan on doing as well. The table is 30" x 30" and will be covered with fire bricks to support any work I have at the same level of the forge floor, because messing around with goofy work rests is a hassle I don't want to deal with.

I ordered the steel a while back and cut it to size once it was delivered to my work. Having a machine shop full of tools I can use is quite handle until I can afford to build my own gigantic shop. It's all been sitting in a pile because I didn't trust the welding hood I had to keep my eyeballs safe. I was finally able to afford a new hood with some undeserved stimmy money, so I got started welding it up. I'll be sure to take pictures as I make progress.

Here's a general idea of the forge body/burner set up.

PXL_20210103_191309554_copy_1612x1209.jpg

My fancy new shield, recommended by one of the welders at work.

received_945068926262975.jpeg

Got the walls welded onto the table.

received_250858306748802.jpeg

The legs are on and a bit wobbly. The big square sheet will be welded in to hold the blower and supports will be added to brace the legs.

IMG_20210319_221209_085_copy_1267x1267.jpg

• Like 3

Good luck on the build. I really need to get started on a forge better suited for welding myself.

• Like 1

Check out the Build a Gas Forge and the Ribbon Burner attachments on the Forge Supplies page at

www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com.

Let me know if I can help you.

About $100.00 plus the hose, regulator and burner using a 20# Propane tank.

I suggest that you build your wooden form first and then fill it with dry sand, or flour, or rice, or some such product measured in pints to make sure that you order the correct needed castable.

Edited by Wayne Coe
  • Like 1
On 3/20/2021 at 4:33 PM, Welsh joel said:

Looks like a good start.

Whats the plans for body and lining?

The body will be made from 1/8" sheet, lined with kaowool and coated in ITC 100. 

On 3/20/2021 at 8:29 PM, Wayne Coe said:

Check out the Build a Gas Forge and the Ribbon Burner attachments on the Forge Supplies page at

www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com.

About $100.00 plus the hose, regulator and burner using a 20# Propane tank.

I suggest that you build your wooden form first and then fill it with dry sand, or flour, or rice, or some such product measured in pints to make sure that you order the correct needed castable.

Thanks for the tips! I've already looked at your site and it's really helped with my understanding of ribbon burners.

Now for the update! I added the bottom shelf and some bracing for the legs. After I weld up the forge body, I'll add some alignment pins for when it inevitably needs to be relined it can drop back into the same place or get stuck needing destructive removal. Then I'll cut out a slot for an air curtain in front of the mouth of the forge. I set a fire brick in the corner to see how well it fits, height wise and I'm pretty happy with it so far.

IMG_20210323_064223_238_copy_1209x1209.jpg

Don't use fire brick inside the forge.  It is a heat sink.  Better to cast the floor over a layer of Inswool.  The air curtain is a good idea.  I have one on my forge and it sure helps keep the heat down in the smithy. My instructions call for door hinges which aids the alignment.  

10 hours ago, Wayne Coe said:

Don't use fire brick inside the forge.  It is a heat sink.  Better to cast the floor over a layer of Inswool.  The air curtain is a good idea.  I have one on my forge and it sure helps keep the heat down in the smithy. My instructions call for door hinges which aids the alignment.  

The inside of the forge will be kaowool. The table will be fire brick and I might cast the opening for the air curtain.