Hey Dan,

I remembered and I looked and measured without pulling while i was just out there. I do have some right around 1.5 maybe 1.75 @ 1/4. Thinking there might be just enough to there to cover your six sticks. I'll see if I can get them out for you and added to the site later tonight. No promises. It's gonna take a bit of doing to get them out safely.

Thanks,

John

John,

Just be careful and don't get hurt.  Send me a message when you find them and we can work something out.  I'm in Rochester, NY, so not too far away, but am unlikely to head out your way in the immediate future.  I guess we will have to ship.

On 3/25/2021 at 10:34 AM, Dan Kaschner said:

Alan, not to hijack this thread, but would you happen to have an idea as to how well 6150 welds up with 15n20 in a billet?  Looking at the analysis I am thinking it might etch dark like 1084.  Just thinking here...

Dan, I routinely use 80CrV2 / 15N20 in my pattern welding, and just last week I welded up a 1.5"x1.5"x3.5" mono billet of 8670 and drew it down to 0.5"x 0.5" x ~25" for the edge bar in a multibar I'm working on. Granted both of those steels are about 1/2 the chromium but I did it in a very reducing open gas forge (i.e. no can).

Edited by Bill Schmalhofer
double post
On 3/26/2021 at 11:33 PM, Dan Hertzson said:

John,

Just be careful and don't get hurt.  Send me a message when you find them and we can work something out.  I'm in Rochester, NY, so not too far away, but am unlikely to head out your way in the immediate future.  I guess we will have to ship.

Hey Dan. Just sent you an email. Your size is now available. I'm still working to get more added at the moment. Will have a few more 0.250 in the next hour or so.

Once again, sorry for getting off to a rough start.  Everything went smoothly and I got my steel today: you packed it wonderfully and it was in perfect condition. Can't wait to get it out to the forge and see how it behaves.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Ted Stocksdale said:

Once again, sorry for getting off to a rough start.  Everything went smoothly and I got my steel today: you packed it wonderfully and it was in perfect condition. Can't wait to get it out to the forge and see how it behaves.

Hey Ted. It's okay. Really. Thank you very much for your order and your most recent post. I've had a good handful of folks reach out telling me how much they like the steel. One said he found a new favorite. I can't wait to hear what you think!

Best,

John

Hi John,

I just placed an order for some steel. I’m looking forward to receiving it. I will leave a review when I try it out. Your prices are good enough to give it a shot even if I don’t end up liking this steel.

Jon

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Jon Bishop said:

Hi John,

I just placed an order for some steel. I’m looking forward to receiving it. I will leave a review when I try it out. Your prices are good enough to give it a shot even if I don’t end up liking this steel.

Jon

Hey Jon,

I see that and I thank you sir. I'll be cutting and packaging again here shortly. You should have tracking this evening. Well I hope you like it and can't wait to hear back from you.

Thanks again,

John

Not germane to buying steel on-line, but not being a member of the BBB is not a red flag.  Neither I nor any of the several shops I've worked in, have been members of the BBB nor members of the Chamber of Commerce.  Most of the folks I know, think of both as not much more then a scam for taking hardworking folks money.

• Like 1
On 3/25/2021 at 10:45 AM, Dan Kaschner said:

Thanks Alan.  Kinda why I was asking.  The chrome had me wondering.

Just as an aside.  Vicky and I miss seeing you and all our friends in Tennessee, especially Ron and Phyllis.  We've been looking for an excuse to make the trip.  A hammer-in sure would be fun.

Thanks again Buddy.  Sorry to diverge from the thread.

I miss Bowie's hammer-in too.

Just placed and received an order from John.  Shipment was very quick and steel supplied in sizes I ordered.  Haven't had a chance to pull it from the wrapping and use it yet, but on all accounts so far he appears to be legitimate.

• Like 1

I placed my order this morning, got confirmation of shipment less than 8 hrs later.  Whether or not 6150 is something that I'll keep working remains to be seen, but you can't beat that for customer service!

• Like 1

Is there an updated inventory of sorts?  I can always use some more steel and I'm not overly picky on off cuts or random sizes.

Thanks

Edited by Oberu
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Oberu said:

Is there an updated inventory of sorts?  I can always use some more steel and I'm not overly picky on off cuts or random sizes.

Thanks

Hey Oberu. I added maybe a dozen new sizes last weekend. Some are sold out now, but there are around 30 or so sizes total on the site. blade6150.com Let me know if you need anything and if you do purchase please come back and leave a review on the site.

Thanks,

John

So, finally got a chance to work with one of the 6150 bars. 

I've started a machete-inspired blade from one of the 1.5 x .216 bars:

machete.jpg

Personally, I found it MUCH easier to work with than 5160: it responded well to my hammering when hot, and it moved well even without being blazing hot - no need to be at welding heat.  I found the resistance to hammering just right to allow for really good control for someone still on the early part of the experience curve, like me :D    

• Like 1

Holy smokes Ted. Go big or go home right? That's awesome! And, really great to hear that you like it even when compared to the popular 5160. I'll for sure stay tuned in here. Lookin good. I've been out since dinner working on my forge. Finally some nice weather here for setting my refractory cement.

John

I don't have a power hammer or a press, and I'm a software developer so as you can imagine I'm just not the strongest guy on the block. For me, something that isn't too stubborn and stays workable from bright yellow-orange all the way down to "just barely glowing" is a huge plus. 

Maybe the 5160 I got from Jantz is wonky but when I've used it, it only moves at all when it's super hot, and then only a tiny amount.  The cleaver I made from it took two weekends of what seemed like endless cycles of "heat it as hot as I could, hit it six times, then back in the heat again."  Forging the 6150 into the bevels and shape in my picture there took about two hours.

6150 isn't my favorite, no (that's still O1, which doubtless will make people scratch their heads), but it's really really good. 

• Like 1

I got out to the shop to have a try at my new 6150 stock this weekend as well.  Didn't notice any significant difference forging it from other high carbon steels, though I was getting some pretty aggressive scaling, so I may have been forging at a relatively high temperature.  Here is the rough forging (1.5" x 0.25" stock):

169295252_4354423124581456_3672223695639

Also did a snap test on a small sample of the same piece of stock, approximately 1/2" long with a shallow cut at the 1/3 mark.  Thermocycled roughly and quenched twice into Parks 50 at an orange heat (first time didn't seem to take).  Very tough even after the quench and a silky smooth grain.  Hardness as tested with my Parkinson chisel set seems to be only around Rc 56 (with no tempering at all), so I may have to experiment with quenching at a higher temperature.  Still I expect this will be a good stock for swords and large choppers.

Edited by Dan Hertzson
  • Like 1