Hello All,

So this along with my husky razor knife is on me every day without fail. Belt knife sweet lil thang. Carry in plastic sheath inline with belt in small of my back. Fits perfect. I can even lay on the porch and don't really notice it's there. Might have picked it up at cabellas ...

Anyways I'm curious to know if anyone might know how produce a handle like this. Seems like some sort of resin and denim. It really would be cool to use some old jeans for this if it's really denim. I've had it for years and years. I always think how much i'd like to put a handle like this on a bigger blade.

Thanks,

John

cFAURlz.jpg gO6YdLh.jpg caQlpoa.jpg

Edited by John Bumbino
2 hours ago, John Bumbino said:

Hello All,

So this along with my husky razor knife is on me every day without fail. Belt knife sweet lil thang. Carry in plastic sheath inline with belt in small of my back. Fits perfect. I can even lay on the porch and don't really notice it's there. Might have picked it up at cabellas ...

Anyways I'm curious to know if anyone might know how produce a handle like this. Seems like some sort of resin and denim. It really would be cool to use some old jeans for this if it's really denim. I've had it for years and years. I always think how much i'd like to put a handle like this on a bigger blade.

Thanks,

John

cFAURlz.jpg gO6YdLh.jpg caQlpoa.jpg

Do a search for micarta,I believe there have been a number of post about making it here.

• Like 1

Cut your old jeans into strips of the width and length that you want, saturate them with resin (I'd recommend the West system) and clamp them in a vice to give the thickness of the scale or block that you need.  Use aluminum foil or waxed paper to keep the resin from sticking to the jaws of the vice and maybe a good application of oil to the threads to keep the resin from getting in there and sticking.

Doug

ACU army mechanics coveralls turned into micarta scales for a knife for an army buddy who was my truck mechanic in iraq.

Just made a 1x, and 2x4 pine wood form, and pressed with a 2x4 screwed across.

20200705_195605.jpg

20200705_193606.jpg

20200705_194247.jpg

20200705_195959.jpg

20200707_004049.jpg

• Like 1