Starting an Ambitious Mosaic

For my next big project I decided that I want multiple damascus Fleur de Lis inlays amidst some crushed "W" tiles.  I want the Fleur de Lis patterns to be of damascus on a background of plain carbon steel but as they will be reasonably small & thin and normal damascus layers would get lost, I made some 5 layer billets for it.

What you see here is approx. 1" tall and 5" long.  These three pieces will get band sawed lengthwise so I can insert another flat 5 layer piece in between the halves for the horizontal band in the center of a traditional Fleur de Lis.  Once I have the Fleur de Lis pattern completed it will go lengthwise into a cannister with some 4% nickel powder.  Once welded I will slice tiles from it and combine them with tiles of a "W" pattern and arrange them in a second cannister (canoe) to achieve the final pattern.

I haven't decided on the style of knife that I will use this mosaic on but knowing me it will probably be some type of historical Bowie. 

fleur de lis_opt

• Like 3

I've got it engineered in my head.  We'll see if everything works out as planned.  I enjoy the challenge of doing something for the first time.

I got my cannister welded today but made the mistake of using straight 1084 powder and the exact outline of the Fleur disappeared.  I had originally planned on using a 4% nickel powder for contrast  and should have stayed with that idea as it would have exposed the profile of the fleur.  What I got was only the 15N20 layers which appear quite distorted.

Oh, well.  I'll still use this billet for something else.  Time tonight for some re-engineering.  LOL

fleur_opt

2 hours ago, Gary Mulkey said:

I'll still use this billet for something else.

Please do (and update!), this looks really cool as it is regardless! I'm always excited to see new pattern welds.

• Thanks 1

That's got kind of a cool "tribal" vibe to it.  Probably would sell quickly on some sort of tacti-cool karambit like thing if you could bring yourself to make something like that :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am awaiting arrival of more steel before continuing with this project.  This pattern wouldn't stand very well on it's own and needs to be alternated with another.  I'll probably use some variation of a Crushed W.

For the Fleur de Lis, I believe that I will need to make it from a W pattern rather than a simple layered damascus.  Also, I will need to use a nickel steel powder for the background so as to show the profile of the Fleur better.  I had hoped that the carbon steel powder that I used had enough difference in manganese content to do that but obviously I was mistaken.