New here, first blade(s)

I bought a knife off a bladesmith about 2 months ago. I thought what he did was really cool so after a few Google searches and another local forum, I had a forge and anvil. Someone mentioned forged in fire so I checked it out and took some pointers. Did a lot of reading... a lot. Long story short, I jumped right in. The large camp knife is my first try, the mini cleaver is my 2nd. I look forward to being a part of this community! Cheers

IMG_20210329_195435_468.jpg

IMG_20210329_223811_035.jpg

• Like 3

Very creditable first effort Matt. Going to be interesting to see the progress as you get further down the rabbit hole

• Like 1

Welcome aboard!  I strongly suggest hooking up with these guys: https://www.georgiaknifemakersguild.com/ if you haven't already.  Looks like the site's been idle for a few months, but I know some of those guys offer instruction.  A couple of hours with a good maker will take months off your learning curve; a class will take years off!  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Alan Longmire said:

Welcome aboard!  I strongly suggest hooking up with these guys: https://www.georgiaknifemakersguild.com/ if you haven't already.  Looks like the site's been idle for a few months, but I know some of those guys offer instruction.  A couple of hours with a good maker will take months off your learning curve; a class will take years off!  

Thank you!!

13 hours ago, Garry Keown said:

Very creditable first effort Matt. Going to be interesting to see the progress as you get further down the rabbit hole

Thank you!

Nothing wrong with those as a starting place.  One thing about forged in fire though, while there are definitely some good pointers that can be gleaned by watching, the process they use is focused more on the clock than it is the finished product.

I'll echo what Alan said about spending time with an experienced smith.  I recently took a class with a master smith that really opened my eyes to how much I still have to learn about this craft.  I'll add on to that with an additional piece of advise that I was given a few years ago.  Take one thing you really liked about your last knife and do it again on your next one.  Take another thing that you didnt really like and focus on improving it.  Repeating that with each successive blade will progress your work along rapidly.  Welcome to the madness!

• Like 1