Can I cut the extra long arbor off from my new grinder

I just got a ShopFox W1843 grinder. It is very nice overall, but sticking off the left side of the motor they have "helpfully" included an eight inch long "buffing wheel attachment". I don't want an 8 inch long threaded rod spinning away off to the left of where I'm working: that seems like a great way to end up with something twisted around the shaft.

Long story short: would it hurt or unbalance things if I just take my angle grinder and cut the offending thing off? I already have enough buffers that I like, I really don't want one attached to my grinder...

It would make me nervous to do that.  You might end up with some weird harmonic change in the motor, but I would be more worried about the heat generated while trying to cut it off.  Might cause issues with bearings, or even warping.

Would it be possible to make an enclosure to slide over the shaft?  Maybe make something out of PVC pipe?

• Thanks 1

Oooh... good point: I hadn't thought about the bearings taking offense at the heat.

And yeah... a PVC pipe "sheath" would work. Still obnoxious, but at least reduced to annoying rather than dangerous.

Personally I wouldn't worry about any potential harmonics, the other end of the shaft is under quite a bit of offsetting load from the belt tensioning system, so the shaft is hardly spinning free.  I do like Brian's idea of putting a static guard in place on the shaft if you are really concerned.  We have around a half dozen of the Grizzly version of this grinder in the group shop I sometimes attend, and to the best of my knowledge they have never presented a problem, even being used by beginners and students.  If you cut it short (which I suppose you could always do with a hacksaw if you are really set on this), you reduce the functionality of the tool and cut it's potential resale value.  The extra spindle is nice for use with a wire wheel, paper disc sharpener, or loose felt buffer (if you are careful).

Edited by Dan Hertzson
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the weigh-in! Yeah, I think I'll just go with the PVC cover idea rather than trying to cut anything. 

Once it's gone it's gone and if you ever find a use for that spindle it's too late.  Also, if you ever have a problem with that machine the warrantee is void.

Doug

• Thanks 1

I have a Grizzly. Just keep the shaft bare... no nuts or arbors, and it'll be fine.

I have (more than once) left used belts hanging on it and turned it on. Nothing there to catch them, so it's pretty undramatic.

I have occasionally wrapped it (in the rotational direction) with adhesive backed sand paper and used it for contouring.

• Like 1

I didn't cut it off. :)

I ended up taking the combination disk sander/drive wheel part of the horrible old multitool thing and stuck it on the end. Figured it was better to save something from that sad failure, and I guess a 7" disk spinning away is better than nothing.  

It's a lot smoother than the old thing was (which in retrospect, it had better be... but I was traumatized by the multitool that would shake things off the wall even while bolted to my workbench) and everyone was right: it's not a problem.

Thanks, everyone. I listened :D