How to maintain a blade finish.

I made a knife from a small file to use as a paring knife.  I finished it to near mirror finish.  It wasn't perfect but pretty good.  I used it to cut the peel off a grape fruit and the acid seesm to have etched the blade.  Is there anything I can put on the blade to protect the finish??IMG_1143.jpg

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1150.jpg

Nope.  With carbon steel you have to clean and dry it immediately after every use, and it will still develop a patina no matter what.  Acidic foods are the worst.  

A little oil helps in between use, but now you know why they developed stainless steels.

• Thanks 2

Many heirloom blades develop deep patinas over time, making them more valuable to the owner over time. My mother had a butcher knife, it had been sharpened so much that it had less than an inch height at the end and was thin as a razor. It had developed a deep brownish-black patina that no amount of scrubbing could get rid of. But it also protected the knife from rust! Just keep your knife clean and oiled. It'll develop a patina over time, and that'll be part of its charm lol.

If you're not used to it, it can certainly be a little disheartening initially, as it'll be a little splotchy until some degree of uniformity is achieved in the patina (some ingredients will etch the blade in mere seconds). The more you use the knife, the quicker it'll get to that nice patina state though. The very first knife I ever made (which I use every single day at the dinner table) has a lovely deep patina that makes it a lot more personal to me than a mirror finish coming fresh out of the shop :) 

I find that having to cleanup a HC knife that was left on the counter without having been cleaned/dried is the worst, as it can really set you back on building that nice patina.

I don't sell my knives but if I did, I'd be sure to include a set of instructions/info on blade care and patina appreciation ;) or I'd be expecting complaints, returns and cleanup jobs to perform...