First time trying for an integral bolster. The blade shape is fairly unconventional... I'm not going to pretend that was all on purpose :unsure: It's a very thin blade (for me anyway, distal taper to 1.4mm at the spine) and I let the heat get away from me at the grinder, so I had to do some re-profiling (it was originally wider and more triangular).

It's growing on me though, and although I'm sure a chef would let me know in no uncertain terms why this is just wrong, cooking with it sure puts a smile on my face :P

2JNnlAX.jpg

Mushrooms and parsley are my two favorite ingredients.

TG3LLZh.jpg

This was also the first time I engraved the blade of a knife. To my dismay, I didn't go deep enough for it to completely survive the post heat-treat grind, so I had to go over some of the lines again on the hardened blade. The blade is O1 and very hard... that was a lot of broken gravers and re-sharpening by the time I was done.

The bolster/handle transition wasn't quite perfect, the two copper half-spacers help with the fit but do not hide all the crimes. I also went for a tapered tang for the first time, and that caused me to ruin a block of nice figured wood on my first attempt at a handle.

Lots of firsts for me here I guess. This was a nice learning opportunity.

• Like 7

That is a really handsome knife! Really nice shape, it has the feel of some of those medieval cooking or serving knifes. Have you tested it with food prep, how does it feel?

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Thank you Simon! I tested it as soon as the epoxy had dried, and it does feel really good to me (I'm biased tho), it rocks! (pun definitely intended ;))  It being O1, the onions immediately got started on the patina! I'm ok with it, is what I kept telling myself :P 

v3tDPTx.jpg

Edited by Francis Gastellu

Integrals are tough to get right, and you did a fine job. My first few kitchen knives ended up with a similar profile, too. B)  The engraving is a nice touch!  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Alan Longmire said:

The engraving is a nice touch!

Yeah, really digging that.

There were some good tips in this:

If you missed it, videos are available for public viewing on the NWBA (NorthWest Blacksmith Association, not the National Wheelchair B-ball Assn) YouTube Channel 1 month after the live event.

• Like 1

I have never done an integral yet...

Most of blades- my "signature style" i guess, come out with angular handles full tang.

Saying that- I oddly, and weirdly enough... really love that blade's profile, and the organic slight recurve line flow thru from the spine & the bolster into the handle.

That's a very cool looking blade.

Edited by Welsh joel
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, Welsh joel said:

Saying that- I oddly, and weirdly enough... really love that blade's profile, and the organic slight recurve line flow thru from the spine & the bolster into the handle.

That's a very cool looking blade.

Thank you, It took me a couple days, I think I was originally very focused on the mistake that forced me to reshape the blade, but I've come to embrace the serendipity and I'm really enjoying it in the kitchen :) Besides, the spine/bolster/handle line came out just like I wanted so I'm glad you like it!

• Like 1