Hey everyone! 

I’ve been bouncing around between forums trying to find a good one for me and I think this is it! I love the content here and everyone seems very respectful and helpful. So I’m excited to become part of the community! 

I started making knives through stock removal a few months ago and just recently got a makeshift anvil and other supplies to start forging. I’m really wanting to get into San Mai so I’ve been practicing just forge welding small three-layer billets. No forged knives yet.. but soon! 

Here are my two latest knives. My 9th and 10th I believe (starting to lose count) and hopefully my last stock removal blades. The K-tip is 1084 and the Nakiri is AEB-L. Thanks for looking! 

1203EA89-C14A-4CA0-A915-D0ECBD4AE76D.jpeg

35615D44-BBE1-447F-AE19-21B7AB98E5CE.jpeg

09D90BF7-99AD-472A-AE66-D4D4A783DE9E.jpeg

0593D40F-B4C3-4EE6-A11A-67FA6734042B.jpeg

• Like 4

Welcome aboard!  That's some fine work. B)  Although I think I should warn you, san mai is one of the more difficult techniques to get right.  But I think you'll do fine, based on what I'm seeing.

Thanks Alan, much appreciated! I plan on trying a billet I can actually use in the next few days.
I haven’t used different steels in my small test stacks, so I can’t tell if the core is staying centered. I’m going to try a couple small stacks of 15N20 and 1084 here soon and dunk it in ferric. If I manage to keep the core centered, I’ll go for a full sized billet. I’ll try to remember to take photos whether it’s good or bad! 

1 hour ago, Seth Carpentier said:

I can’t tell if the core is staying centered.

This is the hard part.  One trick can be to minimize your forging after getting the weld set.  And don't forget to flip sides of the billet regularly when forging.  And have fun!  and don't forget to share pics....:D

Those are great looking knives.  How do they work in the kitchen.  By the way, you won't be leaving stock removal behind, you'll just be adding another tool to your tool box with the forging.

Doug

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Doug Lester said:

By the way, you won't be leaving stock removal behind,

All knife makers do stock removal to some extent.  

• Like 3

That’s a good way of looking at it, Doug! 

They both cut very well, although the food stick is pretty bad on the K-tip. I’m ordering a 2x72 next week with some different attachments to work on different grinds. I’ve been following Noah Vachon and would like to try his diamond grind. 

Hi Seth, those knives look really good, very clean work!

On 4/9/2021 at 1:43 PM, Seth Carpentier said:

I’m really wanting to get into San Mai.

If I manage to keep the core centered, I’ll go for a full sized billet.

I love san mai too! If the first billet welded properly, I'd just go for a full-size billet right away ;) Ultimately there's only so much a small test billet will tell you, especially with regard to core centering, which is more of a function of the work you do after the weld (forging, grinding). A few ways to increase your chances of keeping it centered: 1) don't go for too thin a core (you'd think that's obvious, but I've made that mistake more than once), 2) as billyO said, try to forge evenly on both sides of the blade, 3) forge the edge somewhat thick (but not the spine), 4) if you're not sure where it's at and that matters for the next step, don't proceed blind, do a dirty etch.

Make sure to post the result! :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips Francis! I like the idea of just jumping into a full-sized billet. I was hoping to knock one out yesterday but then we had to go buy a new mower and new toilet and take care of some stuff around the house. So I’m hoping to give it a go this afternoon. I’ll post updates! 

• Like 1