will the edge of a correctly heat treated knife roll if it’s thin? or is it a sign it’s a little soft.

I’m working on a 1084 hunter that I believe I heat treated and tempered correctly. (2, two hour cycles in oven at 425, did use an oven thermometer) edge was probably 25 thousands when I started to sharpen it.

once I got it hair popping sharp I started testing it. chopped into an antler, through a 1x3, then spent 10 minutes chopping 1/4”-1” thick mesquite and cedar limbs.

when I was done the edge would cut but would no longer shave and out towards the tip there was a very slight roll.

edge rolling is a combination of hardness and edge geometry, so yes a thin edge thet is correctly HT'd could roll , so could one that is too soft.

• Like 3

Not knowing the geometry, I suspect it may be a little soft. For chopping blades in 1084 I temper at 375 to 400. For small carving blades 325.  For swords, 500-ish.

Chopping antler and mesquite is hard on any blade, though.

• Like 2

I have in the quest of seeing how sharp I could get my firmer chisels, have ventured into the paring chisel's angle and found that yes, you can easily roll the edge.  Of course, I was whacking it with a mallet :-)

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply’s y’all.  The edge was pretty thin so I’m hoping that is the issue. I think I’ll get it sharp again and see how long it will hold an edge cutting rope, plastic, old garden hose etc. it’s meant to be a skinning/hunting knife, not a chopper so maybe I was too rough on it. 

Make copious use of sharping guides! For a hunter, I would suggest a edge ground at a 23 to 25 degree angle. Kitchen knives are usually 18 to 22, straight razors have a super-shallow angle!

• Like 1