Today I had a surprise free afternoon after work and I felt like forging instead of doing the things that I should be doing.;)

I figured this would be the perfect time to start on this year´s Kith.

So I rummaged around the shop and found an end piece of a Damascus billet, this billet is very low layer twist I originally made for Damascus rings, I have no idea if the pattern will look good on a knife, If it turns out ugly I will just start another.

IMG_20210409_143817.jpg

The billet was almost the right size so it wasn´t much work at all to forge it to a 1´´ x 0.5´´ x2 inch block.

IMG_20210409_151343.jpg

A smart man would have welded a new handle on the tiny block, but I chose to play the ´´can I find the steel between the coals before overheating´´ game.

After forging the bar to about 4 inches in length I could start pushing steel around to get to a more knife shaped bar.

The preform is almost done, but my free afternoon was over before I could finish the forging.

IMG_20210409_160944.jpg

My plan at this point is to make something of a skinning knife, but I have nothing drawn out precisely

Normally I am an advocate for planning your knife ahead and making templates to work from, but this time I am ignoring my own advice and just sort of winging it.

IMG_20210409_153634.jpg

IMG_20210409_150708.jpg

• Like 4
14 hours ago, Pieter-Paul Derks said:

this time I am ignoring my own advice and just sort of winging it

Good to do that every once in a while. Good progress so far.

19 hours ago, Doug Webster said:

Cool stuff.   What anvil do you have there?   It looks like your hardy hole is next to the horn?

It is a ´´Soeding und Halbach´´ in a north german pattern, these have the hardy hole near the horn and no pritchel.

As a proud anvil dad I should have a picture somewhere on my pc:rolleyes:

IMG_20190414_110853_680.jpg

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Pieter-Paul Derks said:

I should have a picture somewhere on my pc:rolleyes:

So keep bragging, Daddy!  How big (because all blacksmiths know that size does matter.)

3 hours ago, Doug Webster said:

I do think you have a hammer addiction

Funny, I would call that collection "a pretty good start"! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 4/11/2021 at 4:10 PM, billyO said:

So keep bragging, Daddy!  How big (because all blacksmiths know that size does matter.)

it is stamped 209 kilos, so that would be about 460 Ibs, it was made in 1913.

I also have a 60 pound stake anvil by the same manufacturer from the same year, when I saw that one pop up on an online marketplace it couldn't help but re-unite them.:D

These anvils are forged from cast steel, and the faces are really hard and almost an inch thick, thats why mine is still so flat after a hundred years, the downside is that the edges chip easily.

On 4/11/2021 at 5:56 PM, Joshua States said:

Funny, I would call that collection "a pretty good start"! :)

Since this picture was taken I have actually added another rack on the other side of the swage block, and I still can't fit everything on thereB)

On 4/11/2021 at 2:08 PM, Doug Webster said:

Nice anvil.   I do think you have a hammer addiction and should probably speak to a therapist.

At this point my therapy is the time spent in the forge, so I will only accumulate more hammers, tongs and files:lol:

• Like 1

I've got some progress to show again, I'm really enjoying myself with this one.

the blade finish forged:

IMG_20210411_140546.jpg

The profile and flats ground before heat treat, and some filing done on the shoulders.

I like to heat treat as soon as possible, this way I have room to grind out small warps and I like to do most of the work with 60 grit anyway.

I never really understood why people grind knives to 220 grit before heat treat.

IMG_20210411_145737.jpg

And the knife finish ground ready for hand sanding, I also have a design now;)

My plan is to use stainless for the guard and nut, maybe bronze for the spacer and macassar ebony for the handle.

IMG_20210417_091928.jpg

• Like 5