Filing knife bevels faster?

So i just tried to do a flat grind on my first knife using Goughs filing jig. Gough said 45 min per side which i thought was quite fast so i had high hopes.

5 hours of pain later i finished my first side..

Why did it take so long. My blade was slightly smaller than his and my steel was thinner, shouldn't it have gone faster?

My steel type was 80CrV2 (3.25mm Or ~0.13" thick). Are different steels harder/easier to work with?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Assuming you haven't already hardened the blade, my guess would be that is a combination of your file and your technique.  Some files will remove metal faster than others depending on the cut and the quality of the file.  As you go you'll also learn how much pressure to apply to get your file to cut optimally.  Are you keeping your file clean?  Running a file card across it every 4-5 strokes will help to keep it from packing up with swarf, as well as help to minimize the number of massive ugly gouges you put in it.

What Alex said.  All files are not equal.  And none of them do well on hardened steel. I have some that can take off a fingernails thickness per stroke, and some that make micron-sized dust.

Posted (edited)

It's not supposed to be hardened, so hopefully it isn't. I should probably use a file card, i just tapped the file with a piece of wood to clean it. It's a good quality file, however the dust is pretty fine so i guess that might also be the issue.

Edited by Gabriel Bonäs

What file are you using?  You need the biggest, coarsest one you can find, short of a Vixen milled-tooth. Those leave a hard-to-clean-up finish on flats.  

For the first bevel i used a 10" file that might have been too fine as it took 5 hours.

I just did the second bevel with a very coarse 12" double cut file. Even though the 12" was alot coarser it still took hours to finish.

Could just be bad technique but i feel like i shouldn't be this bad at filing.

They feel pretty sharp, but no they're not new. They're from our summer house, the previous owner worked at a steel factory (Sandvik) and had a box full of old files, they're probably 20+ years old.

Honestly i haven't used a brand new file in a long time so they might not be sharp.

I bet that is the problem.  Files stored in a box with no padding between them bang against one another, getting duller by the second.  And oxidation doesn't help.  

I've never used them, but this place says they sharpen files. 

https://boggstool.com