Welded up anvil question

I saw an anvil yesterday, a larger Haybudden maybe 250 pounds or more that had a band of neatly done weld bead about 6" wide around the waist.  The anvil still had good rebound and ring but I wonder about the weld.  I can't imagine a forged anvil (they are forged are they not?) breaking in the waist that would require welding.  Does anybody here have any ideas why it was welded?  Just seems improbable that it broke there.

That's not unheard of, and If done properly can be as good as the original.  

Edited by billyO

Exactly.  The later HBs were made in two pieces (tool steel forged top half, mild steel cast base) that was arc-welded at the waist with bare wire electrodes after about 1935 or so.  The ones from 1907-1935 were forge-welded at the waist, often with a noticeable line that some people think is a crack.  A buddy of mine got one of those that someone had tried to "fix" the crack by laying a bead of 6013 over it without preheating or post-heat peening.  It broke at the weld in use one day...

0424181926.jpg

Anyway, the one you saw is probably one of the post-1935 ones welded with bare wire.  The HT was done after welding, so it doesn't affect anything.

Excellent information!  Thank you!  A friend of mine was interested in buying it but was wondering about the weld bead, as was I.