I recently finished something that would be nice to show here.

I actually started this knife in june last year, this is the longest I've ever worked on anything.

I actually started as a relaxing blade to make for myself between commission work, but it fought me every step of the way, and turned out to be super difficult to make the way I envisioned.

As I was finally making some good progress I decided to move out of my parents house and go live on my own, it is super exciting but left me with little time to work on knives.

Sadly I can't forge at my own place, so I now have to travel to my parents for that, I do have a spare bedroom for finishing and jewelry work.

The knife is a fusion of bowie and tanto shapes and is assembled the japanese way, with a tapered peg.

The handle is stabilized maple burl, with rayskin wrap and a buffalo horn pin.

The fittings are copper fuchi and habaki, nickle silver spacers and wrought iron for the guard, the blade is 80crv2

Thanks for looking.

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

• Like 11

To be honest, I don't see the tanto in there, but you have made an exceptional and very beautiful knife B)

OK, I have to admit to doing a "Face-palm" when I saw the title of this.  Then I saw who posted it, and thought, "Well, he could possibly pull that off."

And pull it off you did.  That is pretty striking.

The whole "East/West fusion bowie" genre is an interesting one.  Don Fogg is a master of it, if tilted a little more eastern than this.  You, however, have done what I though was impossible:  Putting a shinogi-zukuri section on a Bowie-shaped blade and having it not only work, but work well indeed!  I can see the tanto, in other words. ;)  Very well done!

This one surprised me in how much I liked it. 

Very nice! I have to say I like it!  drooling.jpg

Love it.  Great fusion of the two genres, excellent workmanship, lots of features to appreciate on that.  Clint

This is really nice Pieter, I am immediately liking the overall silhouette and finish.

My thinking was drawn to the Habaki and wondering how difficult it was (or would be for me) to fit against the bevels and also the tang, (if there is one).  Another thought was the guard, nickel silver spacer and copper fuchi shaped into the museum finish at the handle. I (for one) continue to put thicker flared / shaped guards, ground filed round, etc. A flat guard such as this .....maybe on a military or tactical ....... but hasn’t come close in my mind on a bowie as such.

So here is very nice change that works!

Gary LT

Disclaimer: I know squat about tantos and eastern blades.

Now that is out of the way, I really love this knife. It has such graceful lines, and all those curves! Especially those subtle ones along the spine and the clip. Just an absolutely spectacular piece of work. Bravo sir!

17 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

The whole "East/West fusion bowie" genre is an interesting one.  Don Fogg is a master of it, if tilted a little more eastern than this.  You, however, have done what I though was impossible:  Putting a shinogi-zukuri section on a Bowie-shaped blade and having it not only work, but work well indeed!  I can see the tanto, in other words. ;)  Very well done!

While I'm more Cold Steel-educated :lol:

Thanks everyone!

I admit it doesn´t have any real tanto shape, the construction method is though, although there are some extra alingment pins^_^

the silhouette was really important to me, I have spent a lot of time holding it up to the light.

17 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

I was actually thinking of Don Fogg when I made this, his fusion pieces are really inspiring to me.

The cross section was a real head scratcher, I found out quickly that I couldn´t do it on the grinder, so I eventually did the entire thing with files and edm stones, to get the ridgeline where I wanted it the bevels change angles everywhere.

8 hours ago, Gary LT said:

This is really nice Pieter, I am immediately liking the overall silhouette and finish.

My thinking was drawn to the Habaki and wondering how difficult it was (or would be for me) to fit against the bevels and also the tang, (if there is one).  Another thought was the guard, nickel silver spacer and copper fuchi shaped into the museum finish at the handle. I (for one) continue to put thicker flared / shaped guards, ground filed round, etc. A flat guard such as this .....maybe on a military or tactical ....... but hasn’t come close in my mind on a bowie as such.

So here is very nice change that works!

Gary LT

The habaki was tricky indeed, as it needed to fit exactly to the point where the edge drops down unlike a traditional habaki, the tang is a  tapered diamond section just as the blade.

The guard actually isn´t totally flat, there is a slight taper forged into it just like on traditional tsuba, if I had made a more sculpted ´´bowie´´ guard I fear that the balance would become not so great, as there is a lot of metal fittings in the handle.

6 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Disclaimer: I know squat about tantos and eastern blades.

Now that is out of the way, I really love this knife. It has such graceful lines, and all those curves! Especially those subtle ones along the spine and the clip. Just an absolutely spectacular piece of work. Bravo sir!

Thanks Joshua! I really like the blade shape myself, I made a metal template so this won´t be the last time I use it ;)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

While I'm more Cold Steel-educated :lol:

In that case, you know exactly what a traditional tanto does not look like :lol:

(Don't feel bad, they screwed me up too)

• Haha 1