Spent a couple of days making this for a friends kid. It's bubinga, about 3/4" thick, 26" blade including the integral habaki, 36" o/a. Steel tsuba, leather seppas, copper fuchi and kashira, with a couple of simple steel menuki. The fittings slide on from the end of the handle, so I bulked up the handle profile with laminated card before adding the wrap. The wrap is cotton ito, and it was a bit of a nightmare wrapping on a full length sword as opposed to just the tsuka, and I struggled to get it as tight as I would like. With that and wrapping onto bare wood instead of rayskin, which gives the wrap nothing to grip and makes the hishigami want to slide all over the place, I decided to lacquer it with shellac when it was done, to keep anything from moving. The 'saya' is just a leather tube with copper suspension rings, and the 'sagaeo' is the offcuts from the ito in a 4 strand weave.

uishy 10.jpg

uishy 9.jpg

A fun wee distraction, if more challenging than I anticipated...

• Like 5

Lucky kid indeed!  If that landed on my desk, even today, I would be doing my best Kyūzō impressions within 10 minutes...

(My impressions wouldn't do the sword justice either!)

Nice work Jake. The cool factor of that is off the scale.

Nice work!

Why do all the Japanese knife parts have names that sound like food?

• Haha 1

Really Nice!

As a kid I had to make do with a curved stick:lol:

10 hours ago, Pieter-Paul Derks said:

As a kid I had to make do with a curved stick:lol:

You were lucky. We had to make due with a rolled up newspaper :lol:...

Very nice. Much nicer than the two I made years ago for my son's martial arts teachers.