Hello. My name is Chris. I've been studying blade smithing and sword smithing for several years, and spend a lot of nights watching forged in fire just to learn about forging. Now I'm getting close to building a forge, quench tank, and get my first set of forging tools. And before i do that, I'd love to talk to people who have been doing this for a while, and learn what you all did when you first started. I'm always down to learn more, and learn techniques. I look forward to speaking to you all. Thanks for reading. 

Hi Christopher.  Welcome.  Lots of good information here.  

I'll only add that if you really want to learn about forging from the computer, you should spend more time watching videos done by full-time blacksmiths, (it might involve a doing a little research and effort though) rather than relying on FIF.   

Also, if you really want to learn forging, I'll add my standard suggestion to find, join and actively participate in your local blacksmithing organization.  Putting your locatin in your profile will help us guide you where to turn better.

Have fun and stay safe.

• Like 1

Welcome Chris. What billyO said. FiF is okay for entertainment and you do get some cool tips but you can get a lot more info by reading the pinned topics in all the sections and watching some instructional videos. In addition to joining a local guild, I can also not recommend highly enough taking a bladesmith class from a good instructor. It will really flatten the learning curve a tremendous amount.

As a FiF alumni, i can tell you that what you're seeing on the show is how well people work under pressure trying to accomplish weird and improbable tasks.  It's not that it's fake, but it is TV.

The advice about finding local people to teach you is spot on.  If you can, take a class or two, hang out at a hammerin, find a shop nearby and get your hands dirty a little bit.  Smiths know other smiths, we know where tools are, it what we do.  We hit hot steel and we know stuff.  Do this before you spend too much money.  Maybe you'll hate it, maybe you'll love it. but at least you'll know before getting too deep.

One last thing.  I loved my time on FiF, I did some things I had never done, I met a bunch of wonderful people, I got to experience the making of TV from the inside.  But never think that it shows you the reality of what we do.

Geoff

Season 5, Episode 25

• Like 2

What they said.  You are surrounded by excellent smiths, and some of them teach!  Try these guys first: https://northeastblacksmiths.weebly.com/, then these guys (often the same guys, incidentally): http://www.newenglandblacksmiths.org/. Don't be concerned if they don't say bladesmith.  Forging a blade is a fairly easy thing compared to some toolmaking and decorative work, we just have a few different rules about the steel.  If you know basic blacksmithing, you can learn advanced bladesmithing faster than most.

One final word of advice: Start small.  A sword as a first project, especially without a very experienced mentor, is like trying to learn to drive in a Formula One race car going the wrong way down I-95 with wonky steering and a blind spot dead ahead.  

I waited way to long to take a class with an experienced smith.  Ended up learning more in two days than I had been able to figure out for myself in three years.  Like Charles said, the pinned topics are a great source of basic information.  Spend some time reading them, especially in Design and Critique,  Tools and Toolmaking, Heat Treating, and Beginners Place.   You probably wont find all the right answers, but you likely come up with some really good questions.  Welcome to the madness!

If you're going to spend time learning from Youtube and such, don't be afraid to ask if a particular method or procedure is legit.

There is a lot of great information to be had from the internet, but there is a lot of garbage as well. Bad advice can set you back.

17 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

What they said.  You are surrounded by excellent smiths, and some of them teach!  Try these guys first: https://northeastblacksmiths.weebly.com/, then these guys (often the same guys, incidentally): http://www.newenglandblacksmiths.org/. Don't be concerned if they don't say bladesmith.  Forging a blade is a fairly easy thing compared to some toolmaking and decorative work, we just have a few different rules about the steel.  If you know basic blacksmithing, you can learn advanced bladesmithing faster than most.

One final word of advice: Start small.  A sword as a first project, especially without a very experienced mentor, is like trying to learn to drive in a Formula One race car going the wrong way down I-95 with wonky steering and a blind spot dead ahead.  

How do you know his location? I don't see it on his profile. 

Chris, if you are indeed based in the North East, I'd be happy to give you some advice. I started last fall and have learned some things to do/not do to buy/not buy. I also just completed a 2 week ABS Intro to Knifemaking course at the New England School of Metalwork. You don't have to do a 2 week course, but I can't recommend these guys highly enough. Fantastic school, fantastic teachers/ people. 

Feel free to reach out to me.

Jesse

19 minutes ago, Jesse Lange said:

How do you know his location? I don't see it on his profile

Admins see your IP address on every post. ;)  It doesn't give exact location (although we can do that too), but it gives you an idea of a location. Unless you're on a VPN.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Brian Dougherty said:

big brother is watching :ph34r:

That's one reason the real name requirement is not a security issue.  If you're online, you are NOT anonymous.  :excl: You just think you are. <_<

I should learn how to spoof my IP address just to amuse you Alan :lol:  Should be some way of sending messages to you that way...

On 4/14/2021 at 6:51 PM, Brian Dougherty said:

big brother is watching :ph34r:

You have seen his ‘Interests’ under his profile pic? He’s not kidding ;)

Edited by Charles dP
  • Haha 3