An accidental seax.. in progress

Greetings fellows.  Been a pretty rough couple of days, the kind of days that make good days shine.  I came out to the hovel, flung the cap off a cold barley pop and fired up the forge with no plan.  I used a scrap piece of 1084 that looked lonely and hammered out a blade shaped object that looked remarkably like my last knife.. doh. Used a stack of figured walnut bits that I was never quite sure what to do with and added a sheet of red brass.  Some good rage draw filing and the blade was all pointy in the right places. A dive down the rabbit hole of drilling, filing, checking, repeat and this is what came out. I can see it in there. Can you?

no shop shaming now.. I know it’s pretty bad. I’ve been working 6 days a week and when I can tinker I do.. haven’t cleaned in way too long.

0FFCC81D-7A16-4175-9441-F234C75ACF1A.jpeg

E653C418-6D00-4F95-B534-C42302DD30ED.jpeg

BF1DA691-1DCC-47F9-A513-B259788324FD.jpeg

C171FD3E-27EA-40B3-9B70-8555AEA1B832.jpeg

Edited by Oberu
  • Like 7
  • Oberu changed the title to An accidental seax.. in progress
  • 3 weeks later...

Well my attempt at waxing the tang for later removal failed. I tried to remove it during the “gel” time on the epoxy. I did end up getting it released but I damaged one of my brass spacers and broke one of the figured walnut spacers. I’ve got everything cleaned up and I’m getting ready to put it back together.. after the blade is heat treated. Short cuts don’t always pay off!

P.S. also cleaned my atrocious shop up.. I realized after posting that my bench was so incredibly cluttered that it was difficult to see what to look at. 

Edited by Oberu
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, Oberu said:

so incredibly cluttered that it was difficult to see what to look at

You should see mine, but you can't.  Too much stuff on it! :rolleyes:

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Well.. got all the fat off the handle and put a little oil on it. The blade still needs some work. It’s kinda neat but I won’t be doing it again anytime soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

It’s actually where I’d clayed the spine in hopes of keeping the brass pins.. which failed epically  :wacko: