I have followed the instructions for a beginners forge from Jeremy Blohm. Everything went well. I am looking for any ideas to make a two to three for tall stand for the forge. Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thomas Wilson

Edited by Thomas Wilson

Just do an image search for forge stand. Below is a nice looking one. They are usually quite simple but you can make it as elaborate as you want (bearing in mind it has to be practical). Mine is just a converted trolley. It has some shelves and I can wheel it about. I’d personally not put the bottles under the forge for various safety reasons. 

1F660420-DA49-4219-88CE-4756E1B767C7.jpeg

• Thanks 1

No worries. Post a photo of what you decide to make.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally have the forge all together and ready to get started. I found a pretty simple stand on Amazon. Let me know what you think.

20210503_133204.jpg

I do have one question, I have both ends open. Should I leave it that way or just leave one end open?

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't leave that big an opening on both ends, but I also wouldn't close the back off entirely. Propane expands 7:1 as it burns, and you don't want to choke the forge down too much. It's a balancing act between allowing enough exhaust (as well as oxygen intake!) and keeping the heat in. Fwiw, I believe many people tend to block their forge openings way too much. Then again if you forge weld, you may find yourself closing off the openings more than in normal use as you also increase gas pressure, aiming for a very reducing flame, and resulting in pretty dramatic "dragon's breath".

Edited by Francis Gastellu
  • Thanks 1

Francis,

Thanks for the information. It is appreciated more than you know. Again thank you! Hopefully I will be able to post my first project in here soon!

Posted (edited)

I'm sure you're probably already planning on it, but I'd replace the 2x4's with a couple of bricks or cut and reinforce a hole in the cart to clear the angle iron.  Wood near forges usually doesn't last very long.

Edited by Alex Middleton
  • Thanks 1