Haven't finished a single sword or other medieval styled things this year so took a bit of time on friday and fished this blade from the pile, ground it, drilled holes and had it ready for hardening the next time I'd light the forge.

As it happened it was time to make more damascus yesterday so into the quench it went. Now I did anticipate some sabering but not quite this much and now it has a bit of a yataghan vibe to it :lol:

I like curved so I might just roll with it like this.

Next up will be finish grinding and sanding 

IMG_20210424_212446.jpg

IMG_20210424_223948.jpg

IMG_20210425_115444.jpg

IMG_20210425_115453.jpg

Edited by Bjorn Gylfason
  • Like 4

I'd just roll with it, you see that on museum pieces from time to time, and it's a cool look. B)

Still hand sanding but happy with the weight :D

6mm thick around the bolster area that distally tapers in both directions, bevels go straight through the grip as well and think I might take a few more grams out of the grip fuller as well to get the balance point a little bit further forward. 

The reinforced tip is a hair over 5mm thick as of now

IMG_20210430_184216.jpg

• Like 1
On 4/25/2021 at 3:59 PM, Alan Longmire said:

I'd just roll with it, you see that on museum pieces from time to time, and it's a cool look. B)

Actually very common on what I have seen.

• 1 month later...

Well, finally got around finishing this one. Decided to drop the butt cap as it didn't feel like it fit with the handle shape.

Olive wood scales and oh I love the smell when sanding it, and it also looks kind of nice.

IMG_20210618_200113.jpg

IMG_20210618_200200.jpg

IMG_20210618_200212.jpg

• Like 4

That came out really nice. I love the reinforced tip. The nagel looks good, too. Very good work. Looks like it would have been fun to make.

• Thanks 1

Very cool! bauernwehr are just such a cool style of knife and the re-inforced tip is something you just don't see enough these days.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Pieter-Paul Derks said:

Very cool! bauernwehr are just such a cool style of knife and the re-inforced tip is something you just don't see enough these days.

Agreed!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for kind words :D

Was looking at it today and decided that it kind of needs a by knife as well before I make a sheath for it so will be starting on that tomorrow

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...