I've been wanting to make a WI Tsuba and thought I would share my experience.   I started with a 14mm x 44mm rod.  Etched it has some great texture 

20210408_070620.jpg

20210408_082919.jpg

Second attempt I used a steel ring to hold pressure on the exterior edge and gentle hammer blows.   After forging out to 4mm x 72mm, I removed  the ring and created a raised edge and peened finish with light hammer work. 

20210420_055925.jpg

20210424_073546.jpg

Cool!  It's really tough to forge wrought iron against the grain like that and not blow it apart.  Pretty much has to be at welding heat and fluxed the whole time.

What kind of wrought iron is it?  19th/early 20th century iron or modern bloomery iron?  I hear that some of the first kind can be nasty to work with, but modern bloomers find that good soft iron is hard to make.

Really nice, I really like the texture of gnarly wrought iron.

Thanks everyone for the positive mojo!  From what I've been told, the WI was a 20' long tension rod used to support a wooden floor truss.  I forgot to mention that I was using a stainless steel hose clamp to hold tension on the edge while forging to 2".   Then I used a 2" steel ring and kept the piece fluxed and at welding heat like Alan mentioned.  

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a wagon wheel wrought iron tsuba I have been adding copper sekigane like David J and others have shown before. Teeth are filed into the Tsuba notches to hold the annealed copper sekigane.  Hammer blows to forge fit the copper bits without any solder. 

20210506_061642.jpg

20210506_062429.jpg

20210506_065513.jpg

• Like 1