Two more...simpler ones

I just finished up these two. The first is the finished By-Knife from that longseax billet I haven't finished yet....:blink:

Copper alloy bolster, deer antler spacer and scorched ash handle. My lame attempt at carving something.

5" blade, 10.25 OAL

Seax By-Knife (1).jpg

Seax By-Knife (2).jpg

The next one is another cubic inch challenge, except that it started as much less than a cubic inch. Sambar stag handle, 410 Stainless hardware.

3.25" blade from point to face of guard. 7.75" OAL

Stag Skinner (1).jpg

Stag Skinner (2).jpg

I have wanted to try this thing where the butt cap is filed to match the antler profile. Not my best work, but it will do.

Stag Skinner (3).jpg

• Like 7

Both look excellent. Nice carving... not lame at all.

If you don't mind my asking, how did you get the butt cap to match the antler so precisely?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great job on either not nicking the antler or refinishing it after filing!  Are you going to round the outer edges of the cap, or leave it sharp?

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Great job on either not nicking the antler or refinishing it after filing!  Are you going to round the outer edges of the cap, or leave it sharp?

Both thoughts came to my mind as well straight after the "they look good" study

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Don Abbott said:

If you don't mind my asking, how did you get the butt cap to match the antler so precisely?

I don't mind at all, and it's not as precise as you might think. It does fit well enough for me at this point. Here's what I did and it was easier than I thought once I figured out a few things. I get the rough butt cap (square) fit with blind pins, so it cannot move. Blacken the face that fits against the antler with a Sharpie pen and assemble. Now I scribe the edge of the antler with a fine carbide scribe into the black. Remove the but cap and take it to the bandsaw to remove the excess material. I was originally going to laboriously file away until I got down to the line, but I remembered a little trick. You can nibble away at stuff with the bandsaw by lightly dragging the edge across the saw teeth while it is running at slow speed. You can also cut into the recesses and remove most of the stock before you just clean it up with fine cut jeweler's files. Once I had the line scribed, it took about 2 hours to finish it out.

10 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Are you going to round the outer edges of the cap, or leave it sharp?

I just took the sharp edge off with 600 grit and hit the buffer with some white rouge on a sewn wheel.

9 hours ago, Austin_Lyles said:

That antler knife catches my eye!

Funny thing is, I really don't like the gnarly texture. People seem to like it and I have several pieces of the stuff, so....there you have it.

9 hours ago, Adam Weller said:

Fun huh?

Yes it was. I want to do more of this. I even bought one of those engraving block thingys.