Posted this on another forum as well. I’m really excited about it! 
My father-in-law texted my wife and said he found her grandpas old anvil stored away and asked if I would like to have it! Of course I said absolutely! 

I was told to take a wire brush to the body along with some boiled linseed oil and bang some hot metal on the surface to shine the face up. I should be getting it on Sunday so I’ll post an update after I wire brush and oil it. 

I was told it’s a Fisher. I’ve been trying to zoom in to see any numbers that might tell me how much this thing weighs but I don’t see anything. I’m assuming it’s maybe 50lbs. 

My wife’s grandpa passed a couple years ago so I think it’ll be super cool to keep using his anvil and keep it in the family!

3A67E216-FB58-4F91-B677-3B723E05998A.jpeg

• Like 2

Yep, that's a Fisher!  Cast iron body with thick steel face and horn top, welded in the mold.  They do not ring, but have great rebound.  There should be a raised number on its left front foot (the side not showing in the pic) that, if you add a zero, will give you the weight.  As in, if it's a 5, it's 50 pounds, if it's a 10, it's 100 pounds, and so on.  

Based on the 45 gallon spray rig behind it I would say it's closer to 100+ lbs

Its definitely a score!!!!

My father in law just brought it over earlier tonight! Man am I excited! 

I started taking a wire wheel to it but started losing sunlight. I figured I’d go ahead and post what progress I’ve made and what markings I’ve found. 

I still can’t make out any numbers on the feet that tell me how much it weighs. I have my wife’s scale charging right now so I’m going to weigh it shortly. 

Steel ball bearing bounces very nicely. It’s verryy close to bouncing all the way back to my hand! The face seems to be in really good shape from what I can tell. This is the only anvil I’ve ever seen in person though.

I plan on taking the wire wheel to it again tomorrow and then rubbing it down with some boiled linseed oil as recommended. I appreciate the tips from everyone! 

Side note, don’t worry! I won’t be using it on that 4x4 stand.

EDB6ECA2-94E9-42BA-9E00-06A65B9FB2A3.jpeg

3840B586-F09D-4C59-B441-57FD6A0D1CE2.jpeg

9F0771A6-BD15-4CCC-BD42-59BD7459CF1A.jpeg

95429B95-CD48-48E0-A3A4-19C4FF0490D1.jpeg

15920129-5B25-4C09-A862-BAEE674A729E.jpeg

2EF6419A-4035-43A4-A028-16F8074692CB.jpeg

• Like 2

Cool!  I knew it was an earlier one by the recessed eagle, but not the exact date. They started in the 1850s, and lasted into the 1960s. Guess they weren't doing the weight on the foot in 1879!

• Like 1

I just finished layering and rigidizing the ceramic fiber for my new forge. Can’t wait to hammer on this thing. 

I couldn’t flatten/shorten the stump I found. It was eating up the chainsaw blade I was borrowing so I decided to glue and bolt a bunch of 2x10s together, sanded down the top and set the anvil down with a layer of caulk. This thing is quiet!! 

86391034-48A3-44FA-9336-C6CE5D7663B9.jpeg

1C34BA8A-5657-4E74-AFA0-917652826F14.jpeg

• Like 1

The chain is not really needed as a sound dampener on the Fishers.  They were designed to be quiet.  They don't have quite the rebound of a Hay Budden, but they don't drive a spike into your head, either.  The caulk should be all you need to keep it on the block.  Good looking tool and it's great to keep it in the family.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff! Yeah I wasn’t really sure if the chain would be necessary or not. I figured if it helps, cool. If not, whatever! But I’ll probably go pull it off later. 

I’m so happy that the anvil I ended up with came from family. It makes it so much better and has a lot more meaning to it. I hope my grand kids will use it someday!