First successful billet? WIP

I started with a billet that was nine layers of 1084 and 15N20. Not a very large billet (1.25”W by 2.5”L by a little over 10 thick), but I figure it’ll be enough for a decent little edc blade. 

I tried to learn from my mistakes with the first one I attempted and made sure to get a good soak at welding temp and also forged it down at or near welding heat until it was at least 3/8” thick or so. 

Throughout the drawing out process I watched very closely for indicators of failed welds or delaminations, which I haven’t seen. So hopefully with all the extra time and scrutiny I put into this billet it oughta be just fine. 

1F0E1805-E98D-4DD2-A074-CCD7CE528312.jpeg

I know this is by no means groundbreaking or even noteworthy to anyone outside myself, but I am proud to have gotten solid welds and been able to get to this point. 

Now I just gotta figure out what I wanna make out of it

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

Good job!  Kinda self assuring when you pull it off for the first time.  Be careful though, Damascus gets addicting!  

Edited by Alex Middleton
  • Like 3

I just got my second pattern weld to stick...

So, I get it!

And I think it came out awesome, good deal man.

Waiting to see what the blade looks like when done.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

Good job!  Kinda self assuring when you pull it off for the first time.  Be careful though, Damascus gets addicting!  

Haha I believe it! I haven't even done any yet and I feel like I'm addicted to it! I know that the instant that I get a damascus piece done, it's going to be an endless hole :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments everyone. I have the blade forged roughly to shape and about ready to grind. 

And yes, I’m already studying up on patterns and techniques. My arm and wallet are gonna pay I suppose :P

2 hours ago, Eric Morgan said:

My arm and wallet are gonna pay I suppose :P

Yup.  Now you're going to "need" a power hammer, press, bigger grinder, surface grinder................etc.:D

• Like 2
On 5/4/2021 at 11:27 AM, Alex Middleton said:

Yup.  Now you're going to "need" a power hammer, press, bigger grinder, surface grinder................etc.:D

Well, if it's truly the damascus bug, then I'll say you'll need a press first, then the rest....;)

• Like 1