Edge thickness before sharpening?

For a heat treated, 7-10” flat ground Bowie what thickness should the edge be at before I start to sharpen it? going for a convex edge.

I’m having a hard time getting a good edge on some larger blades and believe I might be leaving them too thick.

A lot would depend on what it's going be used for.  Something intended for heavy chopping I would leave a bit thicker, maybe .015"-.020" or so.  If you're looking for kitchen knife like sharpness, bring it right down to darn near zero.  I've found myself falling into the same trap of leaving the edge too thick and not being happy with the results.

• Like 1

Thanks!  I had it about twice that thick so definitely too much.

The old saying is- "forge to a nickle, grind to a dime"

Meaning your edge should be around the thickness of a nickle off the anvil, ground to a minimum of a dime thickness before heat treating.

I'm right in there with Alex.  I'd shoot for 0.020" (0.5mm) at final grind for something that was going to be a heavy use beast, and closer to half that for something that I want a fine but delicate edge on.

• Like 1
On 5/5/2021 at 4:34 AM, Welsh joel said:

The old saying is- "forge to a nickle, grind to a dime"

Meaning your edge should be around the thickness of a nickle off the anvil, ground to a minimum of a dime thickness before heat treating.

Interesting, got any references for that, I'd like to read more.

Unfortunately-

Nothing more than hearing it multiple times from older smiths- in person and online. 

• Like 1