Advice needed on Grizzly 2x72

hey all.  I'm looking at buying a used Gizzly 2x72" grinder.  I tried one out yesterday and I wasn't sure that the accuracy and power was what I had experienced with a Pheer, KMG or Bader.  Still, the price on the Grizzly is attractive.  

What do you all think?  Have you found the Grizzly 2x72 to have enough accuracy and power for knife making?  Thanks!

I have  a grizzly. Its relegated to making sheaths now. Yes its cheaper but the others  you mentioned while more expensive, are infinitely more versatile.  I can slow them down to avoid overheating thin edges or ramp it up for hogging off metal.  I'm finding that as I vary the speeds I'm not burning through the finer grit belts. The slower belt speeds allow the grit and me to work more efficiently. With the grizzly you have either  the platen or the wheel. The one speed is not forgiving. I can't count the number of two inch gouges cause by that speed and me wobbling at the plunge grind. You watch enough videos by named knife makers and you'll see a grizzly in their shops but when it comes to serious work the variable speed name brand grinder is where the real works done. 

If the price allows, could you not add a VFD to the Grizzly? How does it compare then?

Grizzlies are direct drive, with the motor powering the contact wheel. To add a VFD you'd have to rebuild the whole grinder around a new motor, by which time you'd have spent enough to buy a better grinder to begin with. ;)

• Thanks 1

When I got into this a few years ago, the Grizzly was far below the cost of the cheapest "real" grinder you could buy so it was an attractive option.  However in the last  2 or 3 years there have been a number of mid-level priced grinders come out that are only a couple hundred more than a Grizzly, and much better solutions.  The OBM grinder is one I am familiar with since I have one, but I know there was at least one other similarly priced system that popped up on here a few months ago, and it seems like there have been more that just that.

I got the Shop Fox version of the grizzly for $640 because I couldn't find anything else that looked at all reliable for less than a couple thousand. It's still a lot cheaper and for me even that price was pushing what I could possibly afford.

It's... better than the $200 "bolt on to your bench grinder" 2 x 36 I had before. I prefer the single speed (1725 RPM) the shop fox has over the 3800 rpm the old thing screamed away at, but you do notice quickly that it is neither slow enough for fine work nor fast enough for coarse work, as was mentioned earlier.

Because of that, I only use it for coarse grinding (which takes longer than it would at a higher speed) and once I get down to the point particular care is needed I switch to a 1/2 x 18 mini-sander and files. I solve the "ruined plunge" by staying away from the plunge line and cutting that in with a file.  

For me, this is OK (until I can save up for a real Bader or TW or KMG or such) - I only do this on Saturday and Sunday when there isn't something else going on.  But for more serious work I can see it being a headache.

On 5/11/2021 at 5:50 PM, nick downing said:

What do you all think?  Have you found the Grizzly 2x72 to have enough accuracy and power for knife making?  Thanks!

Power? Check. Plenty.

Accuracy? I would have to say that the accuracy is not in the grinder but in your hands. So, like vlegski said, they can get away from you fast. It is definitely an exercise for your nerves to attempt detailed work with a Grizzly. I generally set my plunges with a file guide because that "2 inch bump" can be a major pain. Tips are very precarious as well.

A grinder is still near the top of my upgrade list. But I got my Grizzly used/like new several years ago and got a great deal on it. If I had it to do now, I would heed the advice above and save for a "real" variable speed before I would buy a new Griz.

Posted (edited)

My only complaint is if I am standing/grinding on the tight side of the machine the belt stays solid.

When I am on the left side the belt wants to push to the right as I grind.

It makes consistent plunge lines from side to side a real challenge.

I usually end up having to blast one back to meet the other with and angle grinder.

If anyone know what may help this I am all ears.

I re fied my house to turn my upstairs into a studio apt.

If I have any thing left I think I am gonna upgrade.

My pet peve is when I buy a tool and then end up having to buy another/spend more.....here we go again.

I just profiled a pair of matching blades for someone I made a knife for around christmas.

Now I have to not only make one match side to side...but the other one needs to match the first.

Given my grinder handicap its gonna be a challenge to say the least.

pair.jpg

Edited by Kreg Whitehead