You're going to want to include a LOT more information.  Do you make them to order?  Do you just happen to have a couple for sale?  Let's see some pictures and specs.  Maybe some general pricing.  

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Blacksmith's powered rolling mills for hot steel, or hand cranked jewelers mills for rolling sheet and wire?

Do you ship them from Houston, or pickup only?

Edited by Dan Hertzson
17 hours ago, Jerrod Miller said:

You're going to want to include a LOT more information.  Do you make them to order?  Do you just happen to have a couple for sale?  Let's see some pictures and specs.  Maybe some general pricing.  

We have a couple for sale now, always being made. General pricing and specs can be found by calling or texting the numbers above. Thanks for the feedback!

14 hours ago, Dan Hertzson said:

Blacksmith's powered rolling mills for hot steel, or hand cranked jewelers mills for rolling sheet and wire?

14 hours ago, Dan Hertzson said:

They’re blacksmiths rolling mills for hot steel. We ship from Houston but if you are close we recommend pick up. Please text 281-851-1647 for anymore questions.

Posted (edited)

If you're not interested in providing the info up front, you will be deleted as a spammer.  You have 24 hours. *edit: problem solved.

Edited to add: I'm guessing these are McDonald clones, possibly made offshore?  Not worth my time to call or text since I'm not in the market, but really, if you don't care enough to add specs you're not gonna get many sales. Simple business sense. The plans are out there, free and otherwise, you're not protecting any trade secrets.  Unless these are the big rolls they use in rebar mills.  Or rail mills.  Again, specs.

Edited by Alan Longmire
figured he needed a bit more explanation. Or that I'd offer more. Whatever.
  • Like 6

One picture is worth a thousand texts or a thousand guesses as to size, power sources and suitability for small shop blacksmith. I'd be interested  but I'm the type that likes to make sure there's a pig in that poke.

It's basically a McDonald rolling mill. I've seen them on FB.

If this is a legit offer, then I'm also interested to see what you have.  You'd have to post some pictures and technical specs before I would try to contact you.  I'm not about to give a random stranger my text number. 

I contacted him via text and got some more specifics.  They do appear to be similar to the McDonald mill, but he uses a 60:1 geared motor rather than the belt drive the McDonald has.  In my opinion this will give better consistent torque, but does not have the potential safety factor of a slipping belt if there is a problem.  I've only seen one small photo on my phone, but I can add the following:  the top roller is supported by pillow blocks.  The bottom is adjustable with a large hand screw and engaged with a foot pedal.  I don't think it has the hand lever ratcheting scheme the McDonald has, but some have reported that they don't use that anyway.  It appears to be a shop built item, not an import, but there is no easy way to tell for sure.  The unit is 300#, 42" tall, with a 38.5" square footprint.  The motor is 1.5 HP, 1,800 RPM and 220 V (probably single phase).  He mentioned that the maximum opening was on the order of 5/8" (I'm not sure how that compares to the McDonald).  The frame appears to be quite robust.

I'm going to respect the OP and not add the price and shipping cost he quoted me.  It is currently out of my range, but I didn't think it was unreasonable.

I think we need to strive to be a little more optimistic (which is odd coming from an avowed skeptic like myself).  After all, this is supposed to be the friendly forum...

7 hours ago, Dan Hertzson said:

I think we need to strive to be a little more optimistic (which is odd coming from an avowed skeptic like myself).  After all, this is supposed to be the friendly forum...

I'll have to disagree, there's no reason for him to be secretive about this. The fact that he is, gives rise to many questions and none good. The least of which, is this stolen property?

Posted (edited)

Well I have to admit, there are certain inconsistencies that make me concerned (like the statement that he has several on hand and is always making more, when I've been looking into these for a while now and never seen one exactly like his build).  Still his reticence may just be unfamiliarity with the forum environment, and nothing nefarious.

While I have heard of tools and anvils "disappearing" and being resold by thieves, I've not heard this for any larger equipment (power hammers, fly presses, Space Saver Grinders, treadle hammers, hydraulic presses and rolling mills).  Does that sort of thing happen a lot in Virginia? 

Edit:  Looked a little further and saw this one in an old post from the forum:

crusher2_3.jpg  The photo he sent me is pretty similar, but the support legs are tapered, the frame is heavy plate, and the motor is on the other side and inverted.  Again, I have no horse in this race, just someone who is interested in getting a rolling mill someday and wishing they were commercially produced as my machinery fabrications skills are rudimentary at best.

Edited by Dan Hertzson

Well, we are supposed to be the friendly forum...  :unsure:

I don't think he's being nefarious, but the lack of openness rubs me the wrong way, as does the sales pitch, such as it is.  I do not call people.  If someone is trying to sell me something, it's up to them to provide the information.  He caught me in a bad mood, and I did get snippy.  But I stand by my decision, unless more info is forthcoming.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Alan Longmire said:

He caught me in a bad mood, and I did get snippy.  But I stand by my decision, unless more info is forthcoming.

It was a poor way to introduce himself to the forum, and first posts that look like this almost always turn out bad.  I don't think you over reacted.

It's a pity.  I'd like a rolling mill, but just don't have the time to build one these days.  

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Brian Dougherty said:

It's a pity.  I'd like a rolling mill, but just don't have the time to build one these days.

my thoughts exactly

23 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

If you're not interested in providing the info up front, you will be deleted as a spammer.  You have 24 hours.

Edited to add: I'm guessing these are McDonald clones, possibly made offshore?  Not worth my time to call or text since I'm not in the market, but really, if you don't care enough to add specs you're not gonna get many sales. Simple business sense. The plans are out there, free and otherwise, you're not protecting any trade secrets.  Unless these are the big rolls they use in rebar mills.  Or rail mills.  Again, specs.

42” tall

38 1/2” wide and long 

220 volt motor 

1 1/2 horses

60/1 gear ration 

1800 rpm motor

2 1/4 rollers

Start at 5/8” to as thin as you want

300lbs 

start at $4,200 

F8062C4C-9667-4B82-A153-80061FF87709.jpeg

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Gerald Boggs said:

I'll have to disagree, there's no reason for him to be secretive about this. The fact that he is, gives rise to many questions and none good. The least of which, is this stolen property?

Sorry about that, wasn’t trying to be secretive. Not on many forums and was just trying to get out there. They are made in Houston and I can assure you they are not stolen property. 

• Like 1

What say you start this over, down in the tailgate sales section, and open with the pics, specs, and so on?  Give you a clean slate, rather than all the questions.  

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the info @Trey Gurry.  Good to know you're out there.  You may be hearing from me in the relatively near future....Good luck!

Edited by billyO
8 hours ago, Dan Hertzson said:

While I have heard of tools and anvils "disappearing" and being resold by thieves, I've not heard this for any larger equipment (power hammers, fly presses, Space Saver Grinders, treadle hammers, hydraulic presses and rolling mills). 

I'm out of any information loop on equipment thefts*, but anything with value will be stolen and it really doesn't any more value then the price of scrap metal.

*I always thought my area was pretty crime free, until I started reading the crime blotter.

4 hours ago, Trey Gurry said:

Sorry about that, wasn’t trying to be secretive. Not on many forums and was just trying to get out there. They are made in Houston and I can assure you they are not stolen property. 

Fair enough, welcome to the forum.

4 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

What say you start this over, down in the tailgate sales section, and open with the pics, specs, and so on?  Give you a clean slate, rather than all the questions.  

Sounds good to me thanks man.