A great pic of our wee town (pop 430) on the Lawrence Noticeboard page this morning. The arrow points down the gully we live in, on one of the three ways in and out of town.

My home town.png

a couple taken last spring down the gully to our street

Hill Street.png

and our spot on the 1/2 acre we call home. Shed (split block 6 car garrage) is above and behind the house. You may even see a couple of sheep in the paddock that are part of our meat supplyour spot.png

• Like 6

Lovely looking area, but based on your beard and posted lifestyle, I really expected you to be living in some remote cabin in the hinterlands :-)  Just out of curiosity, what's the source of income for the rest of the population of Lawrence?

7 hours ago, Gerald Boggs said:

Lovely looking area, but based on your beard and posted lifestyle, I really expected you to be living in some remote cabin in the hinterlands :-)  Just out of curiosity, what's the source of income for the rest of the population of Lawrence?

I would have lived "out a bit" but I bought in here in '87 for the kids schooling and am not one for change so settled in and called it home. Being in the middle of a farming district, the town is really a small rural hub and service town althouth that has changed a bit in the last 40 years. We are an hour from each of the two main rural centers  and the same distance from the city so there is more commuting now and with the IT  capability, that has bought in a different type of country people (those excaping the overblown northern cities.

We go to the city once a week so I rarely go down into the town except to post knives away and with only one or two cars up past the house a day still consider myself reasonably seperated from urban living.

Thank you Garry for sharing a nice picture of your world! I thought the area would me more arid dry - like but is lwell settled and It reminds me of a place in Pennsylvania I live as a small kid. Small and rural, rolling hills, well kept homes of working people.

Now I’ve seen some photos of your shop and you tube as well. I wish I had your space, so my hats off to you for planning and achieving all the way back to 87. 

Now that I am retired, need to down size, warmer weather is a must and a nice out back shop. So we have been looking at many options and this takes time and travel with money.

Thanks again, Gary LT

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gary LT said:

Thank you Garry for sharing a nice picture of your world! I thought the area would me more arid dry - like but is lwell settled and It reminds me of a place in Pennsylvania I live as a small kid. Small and rural, rolling hills, well kept homes of working people.

Now I’ve seen some photos of your shop and you tube as well. I wish I had your space, so my hats off to you for planning and achieving all the way back to 87. 

Now that I am retired, need to down size, warmer weather is a must and a nice out back shop. So we have been looking at many options and this takes time and travel with money.

Thanks again, Gary LT

One of the rural hubs is central otago and that really is arrid and dry. I finished my growing up in that area and when I chose this location ( had lived  close to here in mid fifties to mid sixties for a few years and other family had been here so knew the area) it was because I no longer wanted the extreme heat of the summer or the biting cold of winter comparitive to the rest of the country. There is a row of hills to our south that keeps the main rough cold coming out of the southern ocean off the ice from us. The hills turn it up into central otago or it contiues round the coast and comes ashore south and east of us and the row of hills on that side of us keeps it off us as well. It is like we are in a small protected valley and that suits me fine. Our summers rarely go over the 85-90f and winters rarely go below 25f and I have a good economical  deisel fire in the shed so that is not bother for me. Easy supply of firewood for the house so we are very comfortable in "our spot".

Looks like a nice place to live.  Living in the flatlands of the US, I get a bit jealous of hilly scenery.

I chuckled at the "Walk-Through" hedge you neighbor has over his walkway.  Looks like something I would do.

• Like 1