R.R. Spike Knife Tutorial

mcmaster-carr has them as rail spikes.

does anyone know the "legality" of "finding" railroad spikes on or near the tracks? I've heard that finding anything on or near tracks is considered rail property and removing anything is a federal (!!) offense... but does anyone know for sure?

My computer fried out last night. I'm at my folks house about a 25 minute drive, on a computer I'm not familiar with. I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

There was a storm and the power went out, must have been a dandy serge when it came back on, beyond what my deal could handle.

The weird thing is last night I had this dream about my computer "Jezebel". I was doing some work when all of a sudden the monitor went haywire like a TV with no vertical or horizontal hold, the whole PC started dancing around on the desk top and making this grinding sound, like large steel gears without any grease! At that point I ducked behind my chair and just watched from the corner of my eye. Right about then it pealed open it's own plastic casing just like a banana, ejected it's hard drive,... and spit it clean across the room!

When I got up this morning to turn it on, it was completely dead.

For the time being I'm dead in the water, but will come up with some kind of plan soon.

I feel your pain :( I lost a 120GB external drive earlier this year that was about half full with all of my legally downloaded music, YEARS of pictures (including lots of vacation photos and pics of my recently departed feline companion), all of my website stuff, all of my blacksmithing documents- basically everything. :angry: I switched to an external drive in response to internal drives frying on my about every 6 months. That one lasted about 18 months. I guess the only solution is to be diligent about CD backups but those don't repalce lost/fried hardware.

Check your computer's power source first- it's a cheap fix and sometimes it's the only thing that got fried.... sometimes. If it's the board you may still be able to save the drive... maybe. I'm trying to paint a prety picture here damnit! :D

All my best- I'm completely empathetic with your plight.

I feel your pain :(  I lost a 120GB external drive earlier this year that was about half full with all of my legally downloaded music, YEARS of pictures (including lots of vacation photos and pics of my recently departed feline companion), all of my website stuff, all of my blacksmithing documents- basically everything. :angry:  I switched to an external drive in response to internal drives frying on my about every 6 months.  That one lasted about 18 months.  I guess the only solution is to be diligent about CD backups but those don't repalce lost/fried hardware.

Check your computer's power source first- it's a cheap fix and sometimes it's the only thing that got fried.... sometimes.  If it's the board you may still be able to save the drive... maybe.  I'm trying to paint a prety picture here damnit! :D 

All my best- I'm completely empathetic with your plight.

37082[/snapback]

as a computer guy i am, i would suggest get a dvd burner for your computer. they are about 80 to 100 bucks for a good one, double density 9 gigers. I usually back up my master files about once a month sometimes every couple months to a dvd and store it away. has saved me in the past. Especially on photography pic's.

When I got up this morning to turn it on, it was completely dead.

For the time being I'm dead in the water, but will come up with some kind of plan soon.

37080[/snapback]

1) check ups to make sure the circuit breaker built in didn't trip if you have one (everyone should)

2) open up your case and look inside to see if an L.E.D. is lit (normally green). May be that your power supply burnt out or took a hit.

Ill help you some more if you want, i really dont mind. if you are at a point were your at your wits end, ill give you my number and i can walk you thru some more steps to help.

as a computer guy i am, i would suggest get a dvd burner for your computer. they are about 80 to 100 bucks for a good one, double density 9 gigers. I usually back up my master files about once a month sometimes every couple months to a dvd and store it away. has saved me in the past. Especially on photography pic's.

37116[/snapback]

As a former geek married to an active geek I'd be inclined to agree about the DVD burner.... except that my current box won't support one and I'm tired of dumping money into something that really should be replaced :) My 60GB ION drive is working nicely in the mean time. Thanks for the tip, though :)

Tai,

Open up the back and let the smoke out. :P

This thread was going so well. Tease me no more.