Laying out the pivot point on a folding knife.

I think I've asked this before, but I'm having some trouble figuring out where to put the pivot hole in a folding knife blade.  Is there a rule or some sort of tutorial around?

Geoff

• Like 1

Depends on the type of knife and lock, but generally down a bit and back a bit. I mark a circle on the pivot area, divide it into cardinal quadrants, and make the hole in the corner of the lower  back quadrant. Do this on heavy card stock, and cut out the blade shape (but leave plenty of excess at the back to figure out the lock) and use a split pin to attach it to another piece of card on which you design the handle...

Posted (edited)

I also have this book: https://www.abebooks.com/9780873413909/Folding-Knives-Step-By-Step-How-To-Ron-0873413903/plp

You can find copies of it online for anywhere from $30 -$300 so do some shopping. It is an excellent resource for slip joints and lock backs from three renowned makers.

The positioning is important with relationship to either the locking notch or the spring shelf.

Edited by Joshua States

only one i know is if your making a locking knife you need your pivot stop and lock to form a triangle even with a book or two on making folders i still sit up nights trying to get the best placement :(