Hide the Liquor..I'm BAAAAAaaaccck!!

Howdy..

Well it has been an interesting last bit...took a bit of maneuvering , wheeling/dealing and being creative to stay afloat with minimal (if any) studio time but now that things have turned around and orders are once again coming in..I am BACK!!

I did get some serious writing done on book IV as well as figure out how to get a bigger chuck of that wavy feather pattern I have been worklng on..here is the reult of one blade for the cover photo of book IV.. I am keeping this one for myself.

31" blade, double fullers, file worked spine..(wore out 3 files doing it..this steel is tough on files..that or the quality of files has taken a nose dive....) welded from 1095/meteoric iron mix and 1070..great contrast.. I am calling it the "Quetzalcoatl" pattern... hilted with steel fittings and copal grip panels...Using copal was a very unique adventure I will say that... boy that stuff had to get HOT to melt..smelled great though...

All in all turned out OK if you ask  me..  So.....

I'M BACK!!

JPH

(now the real work starts..getting back into the swing as they say..)

DSC06898A.jpg

DSC06900A.jpg

DSC06904A.jpg

DSC06905A.jpg

DSC06909A.jpg

• Like 15

Welcome back! Glad to see that absence has not been idle ;)

I really dig the pattern going on, both bold and subtle. Pattern development is an ever fascinating field, and I hope to see more!

John

Welcome back JPH! I was beginning to wonder where you were. I don’t blame you for keeping that one. That pattern is something else. Can’t wait for book IV. How is the translation on that other one going?

C

Very nice indeed.

I had to look up copal to know what it is. That is awesome.

Hello!  

Thank you all for the kind words..As to the copal..there is copal and there is copal.. Some of the "younger stuff" under say 1500 years or so is more like rosin and that is usually used  as incense ..however it can be processed into material that looks and acts a lot like amber.  Then there is the  "ancient" copal..this is the material that beads, bracelets and other items are made from..It is harder, a bit denser and usually deeper in colour. This is what I used..broken trade beads..it was an experience and a good deal more to it than I originally thought but the results were worth it.  What I did was basically the same technique that was used to melt amber into sheets back in the day they did that. Took a bit more heat than I thought as well..but as I said the results were worth it..  Only thing  that I call negative was the finish/polish...

This is something you can not rush as if you get a bit too enthusiastic you can "smear" the material and that looks downright fugly... go slow and you should be ok..Learning curve here...It is different but as I said the results were well worth it..

On pattern.. I was working on a wave feather for a while with some limited success..the problem with the feather is you draw in endways and that means getting a longer piece is a bit complicated..12/14 " is about what most folks can get..I can go 18/20 or so being creative.. (case in point: the photo below.. This is a 22" long blade in feather...)  Now putting in the wave took some thought and preparation but I managed to get that sorted out as well.. If you look at the pattern you might just figure out what I did.. Now this is one way to do it...there may be other ways as well... All in all..it worked.

The whole sword just "works" if you ask me... Every now and then you get one that comes out better than you thought.. That happened here...I am very happy with the way this one turned out... That is why I am keeping it..plus it will be on the cover of book IV as well...

So back to work for me..cleaning up and re-organizing today... and this weekend I am going to dial in my new bench mill and true up the vise and table run..I finally replaced the one that walked off when we moved down here...It's just a little feller..but more than adequate for what I need..

I'll be checking in again...

Thank you all..

JPH

DSC06743A.jpg

DSC06744A.jpg

• Like 2

Hey JPH. Really nice! Like the copal.

Any progress on the JJ Perret Art of the Cutler translation?

Saludos

J

Hello....

As far as JJ Perret's work..that is in the hands of my publisher.. I should bug him and see what is up there..he has had it for a year now...  Hummmm

JPH

Is that kilij grip a frame construction?

Al:

More or less..it is,,,everything is held together with cutler's resin..which works great due to the fact that the grip panels are basically the same stuff...resin/rosin. The hard part was putting the bezel around the frame and then rolling it over the copal to get it together..Thankfully I have strong hands and instead of using one of those bezel burnishers that everyone seems to be in love with I used a stainless steel teaspoon that I modified for this purpose..you can really get down on that  much better than one of those thin burnishers.. Made it a bit easier to roll over that  sheet..

JPH