1084/15N20 with an attempt at a flame type pattern along the edge, stabilized* pine handle with brass pins.  Blade is .140" thick at the spine, tapering to .040" at the butt of the handle.

20210530_200021.jpg

20210530_200039.jpg

Pine is definitely not a typical handle choice.  This particular knife was built as a gift to a friend and mentor who was one of the biggest influences on my firefighting career.  The piece of pine that I used for the handle played a big part in one of the most memorable calls that we ever ran together.

As always, comments and critiques are very welcome.  Thanks for looking!

• Like 4

Love the pattern of the damascus.  The blade deserves a better wood than pine but I understand that it helps memorialize a meaningful event.

Doug 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. 

Doug, I couldn't agree more.  Except it was really the only thing that I could put on this one. 

That little piece of pine fought me every step of the way.  First, it didnt stabilize very well.  Even though it's been sitting for over 15 years, I'm assuming the pine sap prevented the cactus juice from fully penetrating.  After that it kept revealing tiny voids and cracks to the point where I thought I was going to have to scrap it.  I kept fighting back and we finally came to an "understanding".

Also, this knife is meant to be used.  The more it gets used, the more scars it'll show.   Pretty fitting for the guy it's going to.

• Thanks 1