DIY small diameter contact wheel?

Good morning, I have steel small diameter wheels for my 2x72 grinder, which is okay, but I think I would like it a lot more if they were contact wheels.

I see there are places that sell small dia contact wheels, but I don't think I want to shell out the money for them.

Here is my wacky idea.  Do you think a rubber heat shrink tubing placed over the steel wheel and shrunk would provide enough backing for smoother grinding?  Or would it even work?  Even if it didn't last a long time it would be easy to replace.  Have any of you ever tried to convert a steel wheel set to contact wheels?

Not yet... but I'm working on it.

There are sets for sale- that go down to 3/8-1/2" diameter wheels. They use no rubber backing... just turned steel or aluminum. 

Yes, I have a set of turned down steel.  I don't care for how they chatter during grinding.  I also don't have a VFD on my grinder so I can't play around with the speed to improve that situation, though my SFM is only around 2350.

I am going to get some shrink tubing and try it out.  If it doesn't work, I'm only out a few bucks.  I will report back with if it works or not.

Rubber gas hose may work too.  Probably other materials as well like tygon or polyurethane.  Not sure if the sizes are small enough and axle rigidity would work for your purpose.

True, if I can match the ID or get close that could work as well.  Worth a shot if I strike out with the shrink tubing.