Solid fuel crucible furnace advice

Posted (edited)

So I made a furnace to do sone crucible steel melts, I've ran it twice but both times didn't get a full melt.

The crucible is on a pedestal, the tuyeres are pointed at a downward angle, one at the base and the other slightly higher on the other side. they are ofset a bit so the airflow moves all around thw crucible. Both times I slowly heated it till crucible and everything we're glowing orange then turned up the blast and ran it like that for 1 1/2-2 hours. I've forge welded and melted iron bars in my forge with the same coal. First time I tried a mix of bituminous and charcoal, tended to make a layer of coke that had to be broken up constantly. The anthracite however tended to fall around the crucible without much effort on my part.

Maybe I need to make it bigger/ more space between the crucible and tuyeres? They are fairly close now, maybe 2 inches or a bit less.

I'm using very hard firebrick 21/2" thick coated with HT-100 so I was thinking that might be taking up too much heat. I've got some 1" thick insulating/soft firebrick that I'll try putting around the inside against the hard brick.

Anyone else use solid fuel to do crucible melts? Would have thought it would get hot enough to melt a 1 pound charge in less than an hour...

Any advice to make this work better?

20210525_223616_HDR.jpg

20210603_150420_HDR.jpg

Edited by Matthew Schneider

Never mind, that's definitely hot enough now! Removed the upper bricks and I have far better control of it now. Changed the tuyeres a little so there's more space between them and the crucible and hot damn it's !!!HOT!!!

HOPEFULLY I've got a beautiful ingot in the morning that I can forge at least as 'easy' as my first. Recipe is just a bit different this time.

20210609_204707_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

It's definitely beautiful but looks like I might have some graphite, a bit of a bummer to say the least. Did the roast this weekend, I'll start forging this today

385 grams, old files and a bit of ball bearings to top the charge off, hard to guess exact carbon % since the files. Surface Dendrites are considerably larger than my last puck.

IMG_20210610_111802_195.jpg

20210612_184218_HDR.jpg

Edited by Matthew Schneider
  • Like 1