Posted (edited)

After several attempts, each ending in an ingot thst didn't fully melt last night I finally got one that did. It's small 155 grams but it's my first success and I'm really excited about it.  I melted this one in my forge, crucible suspended above my clinker breaker with tongs, piled up coal around it. Took about an hour to reach moltel though I probably got there sooner. Slowly ramped the blast down over half an hour and left it to cool till black. Structure looks good and it's not sparking as cast iron thankfully.  Going to thermal cycle this today and attempt forging...gently. Pray my luck continues.

Second picture is what I got 3 times in my new furnace, half-melt with everything fused together. Going to try filling my crucible next time and try at the forge again maybe this weekend with a different recipe. Man it's rewarding when it actually works!

20210604_222836.jpg

20210604_131659_HDR.jpg

20210605_131138_HDR.jpg

Edited by Matthew Schneider
  • Like 4

I did 13 heat cycles to soften it and decarb the surface. Did some light forging, no cracking and it's not super hard so it's looking positive so far. Tomorrow I'll be forging it out, can't wait to see how it turns out!

Posted (edited)

It's forging out nicely, had time ti get it to somewhat blade shaped yesterday, I'll finish this today then I've got another crucible charged with 4x more material so hopefully that turns out even better!

Next time I'm paying better attention to where the top of the ingot ends up, I didn't plan on it being the face of my blade...next time, all learning process

IMG_20210608_203126_206.jpg

Edited by Matthew Schneider
  • Like 1