Gents, I want some thoughts on the wrought iron guard as I think it’s just too big/long. Using known circles for geometry, I’ve marked where I think these should end. I feel the top guard should be 1/2 the length of the bottom, (or vice versa). I also need finger room after the handle. I plan on using a frame grip, in line with information Joshua States had posted not long ago. I also think the curve needs more angle. The tips have options and will probably finish differently.

Advise?

Kind

4A465471-1011-47D3-8F54-CBE8729A2971.jpeg

The guard is the last thing I make on this style of knife.  I get everything else done and fit together first. The guard is much easier to figure out once everything else is shaped.

Good point Joshua. I’ll change my plans.

Gary LT

While the guard looks to fit the projected handle size quite well, aesthetically it appears to be a bit large for the size of blade (particularly the top branch).  I could see that one trimmed down to fit within the circle you drew on your plan.  Did you sketch the guard before forging, or just freestyle it?

Nice blade profile, grind and pattern.

Hi Dan, truth is, I searched others by photos on line instead of a sketch. Then lined off appropriate marks on my anvil. It is too large for the blade length, for sure. With even a mock handle on, it will change perspective a lot. Right now the lengths, curvature and end knobs don’t work for me, so everyone’s input is appreciated!

Gary LT