Meanwhile, at the guitar store

All he knows how to play is the opening chords to Stairway to Heaven........

Guitar store hero.jpg

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Not true!  You can do the opening riff to Smoke on the Water, too.  That seems to be the natural thing that happens when a non-player picks up an electric guitar. :lol:  Personally, my go-to (and limit of ability) is Interstellar Overdrive.  

18 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Not true!  You can do the opening riff to Smoke on the Water, too.  That seems to be the natural thing that happens when a non-player picks up an electric guitar. :lol:  Personally, my go-to (and limit of ability) is Interstellar Overdrive.  

Ha, you are actually right, I can do the opening riff tp smoke on the water... :rolleyes:

Years ago I learned the opening acoustic run for "Dead or Alive" (Bon Jovi... yeah, I know... it was the 80's). I ceased to practice and learn much after we had kids and I got interested in other pursuits. That's been more than 25 years ago.

I can still make my wife roll her eyes, growl, and leave the room if I play that song.

5 hours ago, Matt M. said:

Much credit to anyone that can play anything. My talents hit the limit by turning on the radio. 

The opening riffs to Iron Man, Smoke on the Water, and Interstellar Overdrive are all one-finger power strokes off the lowest string, letting the other strings do as they will, with the feedback turned to 11.  Little to no skill required, unlike learning actual chords or finger-picking.  

1 hour ago, Don Abbott said:

the opening acoustic run for "Dead or Alive"

A college buddy of mine could play "Dust in the Wind" perfectly.  That's the only thing he could play, but he was pretty good at that! 

• 2 months later...
On 7/16/2021 at 9:54 AM, Alan Longmire said:

A college buddy of mine could play "Dust in the Wind" perfectly.  That's the only thing he could play, but he was pretty good at that! 

That actually made me pick up my acoustic and see if I could remember it. Almost, but not not quite......

You know I did guitar lessons for two years. If I were to pick up a guitar now I'd be like: ".... ehhh I got nothing". Apparently you need to practice too if you take lessons ;) I'd probably be able to play a few songs again though if I were to dive into the tabs and practice a bit.