Can anyone suggest a high quality digital thermometer that's been accurate and reliable? Amazon has so much crap with fake reviews, I'd rather that come for one of you that's actually used one that works accurately.

Going to be used to guage crucible steel temperature, so one that reads up to steels melting point hopefully.

IR thermometers don't work in the incandescent range.  What you are asking for is an optical pyrometer, and those are not cheap.  What will work, if used carefully, is a thermocouple reader with a type S probe, also not cheap.  Type K probes will work for a little while, and are far cheaper, but they top out at around 2400 degrees F and then melt.  

• Thanks 1

My mistake I meant pyrometer Yeah I considered a k thermocouple, how are they at measuring the temperature of surfaces though? I've only ever used them inside a furnace, would be great for that or my crucible but measuring the temperature of a bar/puck etc?

I bought mine from Meter Depot, (Minnesota Measurements, St. Paul). Model DT1312, goes to over 2400f. I’ve run it well over 2300, no issues. With I bought the KType thermocouple for kiln use, although 3/16” thick, 4” long, it hasn’t failed me. I use it in 3 different forges. I wanted Omega, but just didn’t have the money. Got about $80 in these 2 and I am very pleased. That range works for forge welding and controlling my normalizing cycles, general  forging very well.

They may have something for crucibles, I didn’t look and the owner will speak with you directly and answer all questions.

Good luck, I hope this can help.

Gary LT

Edited by Gary LT
  • Thanks 1