Hi all so I've successfully made Damascus steel but I was wondering how the normalizing quenching Temps work. 

For example I made 1080/1095 cannister Damascus. What temp do I use for thermo cycling the 1080 o the 1095 Temps? 

Also I've made 15n20/1095, 15n20/5160. 

What parameters should I use? 

I'm no master smith...

But I'd go with what's recommended for the hardest steel in the bunch, or what seems to be the most alloy in the blade.

1080/1095/15n20- I'd go with what works for 1095.

Any 5160 mix- I'd treat as 5160.

And just to add for posterity:  This should be taken into consideration when selecting alloys to forge weld together.  Do not combine an air hardening steel and a water hardening steel, for example.  There are of course exceptions (like possibly an oil hardening steel as the core of san mai, with a water hardening alloy around it).  Just make sure it is considered before mixing alloys, that is my point.  

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Jerrod Miller said:

And just to add for posterity:  This should be taken into consideration when selecting alloys to forge weld together.  Do not combine an air hardening steel and a water hardening steel, for example.  There are of course exceptions (like possibly an oil hardening steel as the core of san mai, with a water hardening alloy around it).  Just make sure it is considered before mixing alloys, that is my point.  

Yes! That is a good consideration. I will take it into account in the future when forgind Damascus! Thanks!