This was drilled undersized and burned in to fit. I’ve cleaned the bore. My question is do you think I should bore a hole, tap the tang, and make a nut.. or make a plate and peen the tang?  The tang has been drawn back as soft as it’s going to get. 

831C493F-3FEB-4B5D-9DFE-16BACBD21237.jpeg

B11A73D1-1415-4E94-8042-34DF40915548.jpeg

78F97E6B-FA4C-464A-8039-67D86128679E.jpeg

Edited by Oberu

I like the way you fit the blade to the guard.

And the handle swell looks like it works.

But for me, the end cap / pommel need to be straightened out and more perpendicular to the tang. In other words slanted opposite than what you have it now. Then you can thread or peen and I assume you’ll have some hardware at the end also.

It looks long enough to cut away some of the slant.

JMO

Gary LT

• Thanks 1

Yessir, I’ve still not attacked the butt end yet. I’ve been thinking on it for a few days and wanted to have a plan before I painted myself into a corner. Everything is still very rough and I’m just getting things fitted. Thank you for your advice!

If you want to do the threaded pommel nut, and you want to make it more centered on the butt cap (like Gary suggests), you can accomplish that with the current sloped heel that you have. Somewhere around this forum, someone has done the pivoting threaded tang end. I think maybe Geoff Keyes? 

I don't have any pics of this process, but I will try and explain it. It involves cutting the tang back into the handle. Then you take a piece of threaded rod that will slide through the handle and cut a short piece of it off. This little piece should be long enough to overlap the now shortened tang by at least 1/4 inch and protrude out the end past the butt cap by enough to thread your pommel nut on. Now grind down a notch in the section of the threaded rod so that when it overlays the tang end, the threaded rod  (full part) is basically centered on the tang. Now drill a small hole through the notched part of the threaded rod and the tang end so you can insert a pin through both of them. The threaded rod will pivot on this pin. You can now center the threaded rod in the butt cap and make it sit square. Attach a threaded pommel nut. Don't forget to use at least two blind pins to keep the butt cap in place.

Amazing how I'm getting a ton of traffic right now.  Yes, I have done the swivel thing, just like the sketch, and it works great.  You can even build them so that the swivel in 2 directions.  It makes the end of the tang self centering, and if you are going to bed the whole thing in epoxy, it's plenty strong.

It looks like you still have plenty of tang to work with.  Could you bend it so the butt of the handle and the tang were at right angles.  Then it would be easy to get the fit right.

g

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks again fellows. Seems I hit a wall from time to time and it’s nice to consult other makers. I’ve shaped the handle and got the tang perpendicular. Now to make a plate and a threaded nut.

AFD38EAD-B1A0-4004-9DDB-6A26692FF7BF.jpeg

0C163424-DDB1-4FDC-9FB9-1977B6514CD1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I ended up threading the tang and gluing it up. After the epoxy dried I cut everything back and shaped it.  Looks kinda like… yep

15A57829-65BA-4D96-80C5-0B3E89ED3453.jpeg

• Haha 1

Introducing......the mammalian protuberance pommel.

• Haha 4